Replacing Missing Underpanels with non OEM parts?

My 325is was missing every single plastic underpanel and fender liner when I purchased it.

Unless the dealer has the parts (which I doubt, given that the online parts catalog doesn’t even list the spoiler for the '87 ‘is’), my only option would be to make replacements out of sheet aluminum.

Is this compliant, as long as I maintain the exact dimensions of the stock parts? (BTW, if anyone can provide those dimensions, or at least pictures of what the '87 iS underpanels look like, it would help.)

9.3.13.8.2. Non-metallic inner fender liners may be removed.

Not sure what other panels you are missing or what the answer is for that.

Ric

Yeah, I saw that – I had to remove the penultimate plastic panel this weekend on the Shenandoah circuit – the aerodynamic forces on the arch fender liner on the drivers’ side snapped two body nuts and nearly sliced the tire. Unfortunately, without the liner, there’s a big hollow between the fender, wheel well and the door jamb – I’d definitely like to cover that hollow again, but the plastic liner isn’t an option anymore.

Now, I’m wondering if I should remove the passenger side arch liner, to prevent the same thing from happening the next time on the track… I just don’t like having that that hollow exposed – it screams rust spot to me.

I haven’t looked at this part of the cars real closely but you can always get used parts. There are plenty of parts-car E30’s around.

Carter

I’ll sell you my plastic liners? I took the fronts off!

Carter wrote:

Problem is that the underpanels for the '87 are unique to the unique airdam, NLA and very, very hard to find. (A lot of non-BMW mechanics simply tore them off and tossed them in the trash rather than spend the 5-10 mins to detach/reattach the fasteners.)

Without an underpanel, the belts are exposed to a lot of debris – especially the alternator belt – I just changed mine for the second time in less than a month due to damage (and the ‘original’ belt only dated back to April 2005).

Furthermore, when I (gently) removed the LF fender liner after it partially broke loose on the track, three of the old, rusted bodynut studs had disintegrated, meaning that, even if I can get a new liner (that part is common to all E30’s and relatively common), I can’t secure it.

I may have a line on a set of ‘eS’ underpanels (same part for the pre-88 ‘eS’ and ‘iS’), but the seller’s been cagey and hard to get a hold of… All the same, it’d be nice to know that there’s a fall-back plan if the 19-year-old plastic doesn’t stand up to abuse.

bmwbadboy wrote:

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately, your '89-91 liners won’t work with my '87 airdam.

:frowning:

Post edited by: sharkd, at: 2005/09/04 00:52

Old topic, but any word on how i might find a underbody/under engine/splash shield for my '87? No one locally including the Luter farm has one. :confused:

this should also cover the belts in the process…

[quote]9.3.8.15 One single-piece flat aluminum sheet, no thicker than 1/16 may be installed to protect the oil pan. It shall serve no other function and may not exceed 20 wide X 26 long.
The leading edge must be attached to the lower radiator support and the trailing edge to
the front subframe.[/quote]