Replacing Intermediate Shaft (oil pump) bearings

The reason it’s a bad idea to dip our blocks in aggressive solvents is that the solvent can chew up our non-removable intermediate shaft bearings. Most folks will tell you that the block will have to be junked but there’s some folks that can replace them.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1085011#post1085011

so, If im understanding correctly, most SE30 guys, don’t dip the block, nor do they replace the intermediate shaft bearings?

Not all solvents damage the bearings. I’m not sure exactly what my local shop uses, but I believe it’s meant for aluminum and doesn’t damage the bearings. That being said, the bearings are available and can be replaced.

A shop that is used to dipping late model aluminum blocks is a clever idea.

Altho I agree that there are apparently ways to get the bearings and shops that say they can do the replacement, my perception is that these shops are few. Life is going to get more complicated if those bearings get hurt.

The bearings are definitively replaceable. I had a core block rebuilt and the bearings were missing for some odd reason. I’m not sure the machine shop did not remove them but they claim no. Anyway, I ordered some and they do need turned down and fit to the shaft but it was not a big deal for a competent machine shop. I actually have two sets of these bearings sitting on my shelf “just in case”.