Reminder to Put Your Face Sheild Down!

Often I have raced with my face shield up all the way or at least slighty open for ventilation. After getting a face full of sand at Robeling Road, I have been more conscience of keeping it pulled down.

Friday at Charlotte, I hit the inside wall of turn 2.
The left side mirror was shattered as it hit and folded back towards the car. There was just enough room in front of my window net for the mirror, a mist of concrete and broken glass to project straight into the car. The mirror backing landed in my lap and the mist of debris was all over me and the inside of the car. While waiting on the wrecker and looking around the car, I thought about how my eyes could have been sliced up from pieces of glass. [file name=_MG_8842_small.jpg size=233443]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/_MG_8842_small.jpg[/file]

Front

wheel

Back

I used to wear really close fitting sunglasses and run with an open visor. With the side of the glasses being so recessed into the helmet, I didn’t see how anything could get in.

A few years back I got a piece of tire turd in my left eye in the T1 braking zone @ VIR. That cured the open shield habit for me.

Glad you weren’t injured.

wow, glad you’re ok

I was really surprised as I watched a recent World Challenge race as how many “PRO” drivers race with theirs up. I too am guilty but am working on breaking that bad habbit. Glad you are ok to race another day. :wink: