Reman Calipers?

I replaced the front calipers (Girling) just before NASA National last year with some reman units and 4 events later the pistons are sticking. IIRC they were NuGeon brand but I’m less than 50% sure on that. We took them apart to rebuild them and found deeply scored pistons and large pitted/crater areas in the caliper body on the sides of the piston so I don’t think they are worth rebuilding. I’ve rebuilt a lot a calipers in 12+ years of racing and I’ve never seen anything that looks as bad as these.

So now we are back in the boat of needing calipers again. Are any of the reman brands better than another? I don’t need caliper carriers this time, which is normally reason I swap them. I didn’t think you could still get new parts but Turner and ECS both list them so I guess that’s an option too but they are ~$190/side.

I have some used ATE fronts with carriers, $110 for the pair delivered if you want to rebuild yourself…Did the one’s you bought have a warranty??

Al

It sounds like those reman calipers were bad. The pitting in the bore isn’t a problem as long as there is no pitting where the seal sits. A gouged piston is significant, but could be replaced.

Haven’t had any issues so far on my remans, but then again I just switched to the ATE calipers and am still dealing with tapered pads to start off.

I did notice that the inner pad was getting less wear. Maybe mine are going as well. I already melted the dust boot.

Melted dust boots almost certainly mean the the caliper has gotten too hot and that piston seal has been damaged. Time for a rebuild.

I’m not rebuilding calipers every event. I did run the pads down to the backing plates. The whole dust boot isn’t melted, just…cough…the parts that seals around the piston.

I have run down to the backing plates as well. That will definitely overheat the seal and melt the boots. I would replace the seal in those calipers. At least you stopped before your piston went through the entire backing plate like I have done more than once now.

So nothing on one rebuild brand vs another?

OEM ATEs from Al. Rebuild them yourself is my answer.

Agreed, rebuilding calipers is dead easy and cheap.