Rear toe & camber adjustment kits

Are rear subframe eccentric toe and camber adjustment kits allowed?

Yes. SpecE30 CCR para 9.3.8.1.3

I thought they were, and should’ve checked myself, sorry. But this brings me to the real question: are spherical bearings allowed for the trailing arms?

With these eccentric kits, there is misalignment between the two bolts, with both radial and axial loads on the bushings. A compressible material like rubber or polyurethane would still work, but solid bushings (aluminum, Delrin, etc.) can’t accommodate axial loads, requiring spherical bearings.

flipper325 wrote:

I ain’t no engineer, so I am having a hard time seeing how spherical bearings (on either side of each bushing?) will help your perceived problem.

It’s a Spec E30. Put hard rubber/poly bushings in there and be done with it. No need to complicate it. Delrin RTABs on a Spec E30 is like using a really strong fork to pick up your spaghetti. :laugh:

Sperical bearings are not allowed, but as of this year you can put in a camber/toe kit like Ireland sells that have bolts, slots and no bushings. There’s pluses and minuses to this. On the plus side you gain control of camber and toe separately. On the downside the pivot points on the trailing arm are going to end up on different axis. What’s the plural of axis? Axes?

The two pivot points being off axis puts a lot of stress on them so they can bind and crack. With eccentric rtabs the rubber absorbs the stress but with the slotted camber/toe kit there’s no absorption. Folks disagree on how much of a problem this is.

I’m probably going to put in a slotted kit next winter. I’m tired of my rear toe/camber changing on me. That’s assuming I don’t have to replace any motors this winter.

I think that there is common agreement that spherical bearings are the best design, but cheap and equal is more in the spirit of the series then expensive and best.

I say get the Ireland kits and poly bushings. My turbo car has adjustable rtabs from the eurodepot, but they like to rotate now that they’ve been on for a few years. I don’t think they’re available anymore either or if the eurodepot was the company that made them.

Ranger wrote:

[quote] What’s the plural of axis? Axes?
[/quote]Axes is right

pronounced ack-sees

I r English.