Rear suspension clunking at Mid Ohio

Both Dizzle and myself noticed weird clunking noises from the passenger rear suspension on both of our cars at Mid Ohio. Has anyone else noticed similar sounds? My front suspension is pretty new but the rear hasn’t been replaced for a while. I’m guessing that the suspension components are pretty new on Dizzle’s car.

I find that my ability to “direct find” sounds and vibrations is just awful. With that in mind, don’t focus exclusively on the rear. Check things around the center of the car to like CABs, transmission mounts, center bearing mounts and guibo.

Obviously you have to check rear shock mounts, binding rear sway hardware, subframe mounts, rtabs and diff mount. Also, Tom Hall was talking to me the other day about his half shafts hitting his sway bar in hard turns.

Sometimes the collar nuts that retain the front struts will loosen and cause a distinct clunking noise.

All of the suspension and bushings in the rear of my car are new and I’ve heard this clunk ever since the car was put together. It’s only noticeable on potholes or bumps in the road. I’ve looked at/tightened/tried to replicate the sound on jack stands and still can’t figure it out. I used stock rubber subframe bushings and RTABs so my theory is that the stiffer suspension is transmitting more load through the soft stock bushings and I’m getting movement back there that is causing the clunk. Eventually I will use harder bushings and hope it goes away.

Are aluminum subframe bushings diff bushing SE30 legal?

[quote=“Dizzle” post=67237]

Are aluminum subframe bushings diff bushing SE30 legal?[/quote] Yes.

[quote=“Dizzle” post=67237]All of the suspension and bushings in the rear of my car are new and I’ve heard this clunk ever since the car was put together. It’s only noticeable on potholes or bumps in the road. I’ve looked at/tightened/tried to replicate the sound on jack stands and still can’t figure it out. I used stock rubber subframe bushings and RTABs so my theory is that the stiffer suspension is transmitting more load through the soft stock bushings and I’m getting movement back there that is causing the clunk. Eventually I will use harder bushings and hope it goes away.

Are aluminum subframe bushings diff bushing SE30 legal?[/quote]

Check those front strut housing nuts! If they loosen, the struts can move up and down in the housing and make a clunking noise in the exact conditions you are describing and over uneven terrain. There isn’t much to clunk in the rear; I’m just saying…

Worn out rear subframe bushings will make a clunking sound.

I remember that!

Mine sounded like the hinges on the door were rattling.