Rear interior panels - rules clarification please

9.3.13.22…rear passenger compartment trim panels (side panels and package shelf (third brake light shall remain in place)), and sun visors, may be removed.

Does this mean:

1. The rear interior side panels and package shelf may be removed but the 3rd brake light must remain (or be replaced).
  2. The side panels and package shelf including the 3rd brake light must remain in place?

Specifically interested in requirement for the side panels, as most or all of us have already mounted the 3rd brake light one way or another (replaced independently with a bracket or left as part of the parcel shelf), but for some unknown reason the panels are being brought up in our region and we need clarification of this rule.

Thanks!

I removed everything and reinstalled the third brake light.

your number 1 is correct, with a stock 3rd brake light remaining.
bruce

Thanks both. I am interpreting the same way. Appreciate your responses.

leggwork wrote:

[quote]your number 1 is correct, with a stock 3rd brake light remaining.
bruce[/quote]
Bruce.
(side panels and package shelf (third brake light shall remain in place)), It was my understanding that the rear panels were to be left in place on the two door models. In the four door models the rear panels are considered DOOR panels and by the rules are required to remain unless replaced by .06 al.
I thought we had covered this before the nationals last year. I know that Valley Motorwerks went to great lengths to ensure the legality of the cars (including mine) that were presented at Mid-Ohio.

no, the way that sentence is (badly) structured, everything “may be removed” except for the parenthetical note about the 3rd brake light remaining in place. The only real reason for replacement panels in the front is to protect the driver/passenger from shattering glass.
bruce

motormuncher wrote:

[quote]leggwork wrote:

bruce[/quote]
Bruce.
(side panels and package shelf (third brake light shall remain in place)), It was my understanding that the rear panels were to be left in place on the two door models. In the four door models the rear panels are considered DOOR panels and by the rules are required to remain unless replaced by .06 al.
I thought we had covered this before the nationals last year. I know that Valley Motorwerks went to great lengths to ensure the legality of the cars (including mine) that were presented at Mid-Ohio.[/quote]

leggwork wrote:

[quote]no, the way that sentence is (badly) structured, everything “may be removed” except for the parenthetical note about the 3rd brake light remaining in place. The only real reason for replacement panels in the front is to protect the driver/passenger from shattering glass.
bruce

motormuncher wrote:

[quote]leggwork wrote:

bruce[/quote]
Bruce.
I thought we had covered this before the nationals last year. I know that Valley Motorwerks went to great lengths to ensure the legality of the cars (including mine) that were presented at Mid-Ohio.[/quote][/quote]

I have to agree with Bruce. I remember this debate coming up a while back (and it was because folks were reading just part of the paragraph, not the entire thing). So here’s the complete rule:

9.3.13.22. The interior, including carpeting, seats, headliner (to include the leading plastic
panel), console, radio/cd/cassette/navigation systems, OEM seat belts, speakers, glove
box door, panels under the dash, grab handles, driver and passenger door (front and
rear) window glass and mechanisms, heating and cooling system interior ducts, rear
passenger compartment trim panels (side panels and package shelf
(third brake light
shall remain in place)), and sun visors, may be removed.

I would interpret that to be any trim panel in the rear that isn’t on the door.
I agree with you that any door panel has to remain intact unless it is replaced with the .060 aluminum panels (as covered in the next rule). Per the regulations “…“may” is permissive.”

9.3.13.23. Door panels may be replaced with 0.060-inch aluminum or comparable material,
securely attached to the door.

Just my 2 cents…

So, in a 87 where the 3rd break light is part of the packaged shelf, can the carpeted shelf be removed and a bracket to hold the 3rd light or a late model light be used?

Yes.

apexM3 wrote:

But if you take this out, where will you mount your speakers? Rumor has it listening to “Freebird” on the radio will make you faster. :wink:

No problem, iPod with ear buds, cranked!

So if you are removing the door glass completely and all internal door components do you still need the door panel equivalent? Just thinking about Nascar door bars and general high weight.

lmoorefx wrote:

No. IIRC, the idea behind the door panels is that if you have window glass in your doors the door panels would contain their shards if they got smacked.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]lmoorefx wrote:

No. IIRC, the idea behind the door panels is that if you have window glass in your doors the door panels would contain their shards if they got smacked.[/quote]Bing on the money 100% correct.

lmoorefx wrote:

9.3.13.22 permits removal of the glass and rear door cards. 8.4.4 allows you to cut the door cards and panels for nascar bars, but not remove them totally.

Add that to the list of illegal, non-performance-enhancing things on my car. :wink: My front door cards are removed entirely and I had the interior door structure cut to accommodate my window net (mounted to the top nascar bar).

speaking of rear trim panels. I found some manual crank windows. Can I remove the wiring for the power ones that came with the car?

Yes.