rear brake line support

The rear flex lines off of the calipers are supported be a tab off of the rear dust shields. If the dust shields are removed there’s no longer any support for that joint. I’m assuming that a bracket of some kind has to be fabbed. Anyone have any ideas on what the best way of doing this is?

Ray

Best way is to put the dust shield back on. There’s probably 50 kids at BF.c and R3VLimited that will happily sell you a pair for beer money.

I just made a bracket out of 1/8 inch plate about 3/4-1 inch wide. Mounts to rear wheel speed sensor and positions brake hose in factory location. Took about 10 min to make both sides. I can take a pic this weekend if you would like. My vote is to loose those backing plates, makes service work easier witout them.

If its why you cant make it to NJMP, i will make a pair for you:)

Peter Thibault

Peter, if you want to make up a few batches, I’ll take a pair! I removed the parking brake on mine but kept the backing plate for just that reason (i.e. too lazy to think about a bracket)

Peter. I was thinking of something very similar. I’d probably use a cushion clamp to secure the flare joint to the bracket.

BTW, I could probably make it to NJMP but I think it might be wise to beat on the car a little before dragging it to the track to find out I have a million things wrong with it.
By the end of this wk end it should be 95% done. Its that last 5% that’s a killer

Ray

Removing the backing plates has the side affect of removing the parking brake. While one could argue that they have no purpose on a race car, I think of them as brakes of last resort. They might not keep you from hitting wall in the event of a total brake failure, but the impact velocity will be less.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I kept the emergency brake on my other race car because no matter how ineffective they are at speed, it wouldn’t hurt having a plan B. I don’t know why I took them off of this car. I’ll probably be looking for a complete setup this winter. I tend to drive defensively any way. I check my brake pedal with my left foot constantly.

Ray

Found some time to grap a pic of the bracket. Look beyond the mud and dirt, i went off at a test day and got stuck in the mud.

If i have some more time i will measure it up and try to make a few sets.

Find said backing plates. Get tin snips. Cut backing plate in pear shape with bracket for brake line on top, maybe 2" wide. Bolt to hub. Cost…nada!!

I actually made a piece from medium gauge sheet metal. It has a bend in it and attaches using one of the factory dust shield holes. Looks very factory.

Ray

I took to the plasma cutter, and used the ridge around the ebrake stuff and then left a tab for the mounting bracket to remain. I was able to keep the ebrake operational and still open things up for more air.
Tried posting a picture and failed - its 2 Mb, and a jpg, and when I did the add attachment, nothing fills in on the box, but if I hover over it, the file name shows as a cursor label.