Ready Rebuilt Heads

Has anyone had any experience with Myster-E Performance out of CA? I broke a rocker arm at VIR and am looking at a ready rebuilt head vs. rebuildng mine. Does anyone have any other sources for ready reduilt M20 heads near charlotte NC area?

Not Charlotte but:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m20-stage-1-performance-cylinder-head-p982.aspx

Your head is a known item. Have it rebuilt locally. Not a fan of mail-order cylinder heads.

Call Jim Pantas 704-795-2525 and ask for references in Charlotte. He has a good shop that he uses.Go to Iron Thunder in Concord for the NASA SE weekly meeting (Tuesday 7:00pm)and get to know the locals.

RP

[quote=“mcmmotorsports” post=71749]Not Charlotte but:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m20-stage-1-performance-cylinder-head-p982.aspx[/quote]

Just what our series needs - $900 cylinder heads.

“Unshrouding valves”

“Hot spot area & chamfering of valve area”

Advertised as Spec E30 legal???

Are you sure you need a new head after breaking a rocker? Or is this a ‘while you’re in there’ kinda thing?

[quote=“PDS” post=71759]

Just what our series needs - $900 cylinder heads?[/quote]

Yeah, like there aren’t $10,000 motors in the series as it is.:dry:

[quote=“mcmmotorsports” post=71762][quote=“PDS” post=71759]

Yeah, like there aren’t $10,000 motors in the series as it is.:dry:[/quote]

And I’ll sell you my “Pro Built” Spec E30 car for the bargain price of $40,000. In fact, I’ll have it delivered on the back of my pet Loch Ness Monster.

I was already quoted close to $10k for a motor from 2 different people now.

And on a side note, I don’t have a cylinder head rebuilt, but is ready for refinishing. $350 and its yours with extra rockers to go with it.

[quote=“PDS” post=71763][quote=“mcmmotorsports” post=71762][quote=“PDS” post=71759]

Yeah, like there aren’t $10,000 motors in the series as it is.:dry:[/quote]

And I’ll sell you my “Pro Built” Spec E30 car for the bargain price of $40,000. In fact, I’ll have it delivered on the back of my pet Loch Ness Monster.[/quote]

http://www.cssmotorsports.com/products/engines.htm

Key is “Starting at $5,000”

It was a while in there refresh thing

[quote=“Foglght” post=71764]I was already quoted close to $10k for a motor from 2 different people now.

And on a side note, I don’t have a cylinder head rebuilt, but is ready for refinishing. $350 and its yours with extra rockers to go with it.[/quote]

Keep it up guys and you’ll see the effects of scaring potential racers away.

I’ll up th ante - I’ll build you a guaranteed 161hp motor (legal) for $15K - Add that to the ridiculous quotes you’ve received.

Price out all the new parts you want to replace…

cam
valves
valve springs
valve seals
valve guides
IE hd rockers
machine shop costs

$899 really isn’t a bad price. Hell the IE rockers are going to run you $300

You can save a bit of money at the machine shop by stripping and assembling the head yourself. It really isn’t hard with simple hand tools.

[quote=“PDS” post=71767][quote=“Foglght” post=71764]I was already quoted close to $10k for a motor from 2 different people now.

And on a side note, I don’t have a cylinder head rebuilt, but is ready for refinishing. $350 and its yours with extra rockers to go with it.[/quote]

Keep it up guys and you’ll see the effects of scaring potential racers away.

I’ll up th ante - I’ll build you a guaranteed 161hp motor (legal) for $15K - Add that to the ridiculous quotes you’ve received.[/quote]

If they aren’t scared away by the idea of winning almost nothing in contingency, exorbitant entry fees, long tow distances, and safety equipment costs this is very unlikley to scare anyone. If they haven’t done that math, it makes for cheap one time wonder cars for the rest of us that have done the math.

I mean, I’m joking, but I’m not.

Heck, you’re at risk of scaring current racers away.

Sorry about that guys. I had no idea about it when I came in and really didn’t think that type of expense existed in SE30 competition. I knew it was in SM. You can imagine my frustration when I found out about it. Kinda makes one think when you are out there with your $500 junkyard motor. :unsure:
Now, on the other side, there is still a lot of fun to be had and I am sure many races have been won with non “pro-built” motors and many more will be, just keep the harsh reality in mind.

There’s all sorts of guys racing hard and having a helova good time on $500 engines. Remember when Skeen was kicking everyone’s ass with 146hp?

I have more first hand knowledge of building engines, and what can be done illegally but with little chance of detection then most of the folks in SpecE30. I’d contend…

1. A couple hp doesn’t matter. 5hp is almost undetectable.
  2. Engine management is just as important as the engine.
  3. A $400 engine and several weekends of coaching will turn a mid-packer into a podium threat. It’s not the engine it’s the skills.
  4. Every year folks get overwrought about how spending lots of money is the key to winning. Be strong, it’ll be ok.

We’ve all seen a lot of dyno reports. It’s rare that the podium has the high hp cars.

For the record, Skeen could kick everyone’s ass with 125hp.

My advice - learn how to shift before spending $300 on HD rockers. You won’t need em :unsure:

Not trying to start a war… But is pisses me off to no end to see parts listed as Spec E30 legal and then the description goes on to detail illegal mods being done for those insignificant last couple of HP.

Also, there’s lots of parts that are servicable and don’t need replacing in a good engine. Don’t be suckered into the trap of “everything must be replaced - renewed”

But what do I know. That extra 1/10 of a hp might just get you on the podium

[quote=“PDS” post=71778]My advice - learn how to shift before spending $300 on HD rockers. You won’t need em :unsure:

Not trying to start a war… But is pisses me off to no end to see parts listed as Spec E30 legal and then the description goes on to detail illegal mods being done for those insignificant last couple of HP.

Also, there’s lots of parts that are servicable and don’t need replacing in a good engine. Don’t be suckered into the trap of “everything must be replaced - renewed”

But what do I know. That extra 1/10 of a hp might just get you on the podium[/quote]

The price difference between the HD rockers and stock rockers is small so why would you use the stock rockers now that HD rockers are legal?

I guess if you are doing a quick paddock fix only replacing the one broken rocker is the best option, but if the head is coming off it is best to just replace them all. I’m planning to reuse the old valves, and valve springs on the head I’m doing right now. It will be getting new valve seals, a valve grind, and maybe new guides if it needs them. They are also looking at the old cam and hopefully I can reuse that too. So yes you can get by without replacing everything. My machine shop costs are pretty cheap so I decided against purchasing a rebuilt head, but most machine shop cost will be around $300-$400. Then add another $300 for rockers, another $150 for the cam if it is needed, $50 for valve guides and you have quickly approached that $900 price tag of a ready to install head.

So for the OP the Myster-E head is a good option. I sent them a pm on Bimmerforums before I started my little project and seriously considered it.

Keep in mind that his motor was in the 156hp range.

Is there really someone running a $10k motor?

Chuck’s motors are in the $5-6k range
Paul Poore’s motors are in the $3.5-5k range
Mark Welch’s motors are in the $6k range