Ramps...

I plan on measuring it out, but wanted to throw a quick question out there for those of you trailer the cars. I’ve seen most open dovetail trailers (~18’) are a little too steep for Spec E30’s out of the box and most peopel tend to us wood or something to fabricate ramp extensions that lessen the approach so the splitters doen’t scrape.

Point of the story is I am going to fabricate some for my new trailer and wanted to know if anyone had dimensions or recommendations for either the lenght height or angle… Really, I am just curious if anyone has done anything like this and if so (if you don’t mind sharing) what the dimensions are.

Thanks in advance

kchildre wrote:

[quote]I plan on measuring it out, but wanted to throw a quick question out there for those of you trailer the cars. I’ve seen most open dovetail trailers (~18’) are a little too steep for Spec E30’s out of the box and most peopel tend to us wood or something to fabricate ramp extensions that lessen the approach so the splitters doen’t scrape.

Point of the story is I am going to fabricate some for my new trailer and wanted to know if anyone had dimensions or recommendations for either the lenght height or angle… Really, I am just curious if anyone has done anything like this and if so (if you don’t mind sharing) what the dimensions are.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Give me the height of your front bumper from the ground, the distance from your front lip to the front of the front tire, the height of the dovetail from the ground and I can tell you exactly how long they should be to give you about an inch of clearance. My guess would be ~8 ft if your front bumper is 5 inches off the ground. My dads mtech front bumper is only 3 inches off the ground and it won’t make it up our fabricated wood ramps. Oh yea how steep is the dovetail on your trailer i.e. angle of elevation relative to the ground. And how long is the dovetail.

I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile because I think we are going to do the same thing. If I can’t figure it out my strentgh of materials professor can.

When I towed with an open trailer it was an 18 foot with no dove tail. I used 10 foot ramps and drove the back of the truck up on car ramps for a better angle. Worked Fine for my E24 race car.

Michael O.