Radiators for pre-88 cars?

I’m pulling the radiator soon (to pull the condenser) and was wondering if anyone knows of a source for aluminum radiators for pre-88 cars?

Failing that, any idea on the best price/performance for an OEM-style (or preferably non-plastic) radiator for the pre-88 configuration?

Thanks.

Dan,

I’m sure others with chime in, but I have purchased a lot of OEM parts for BMWs from Bimmer Parts Co. in Parkton, MD. www.partsbmw.com

Ed

I have not seen a reasonable radiator for these cars. The all aluminum racing variety cost big bucks and I don’t think there is a direct fit one. Check with Rob at Bimmerworld because I think the early E36 is a direct fit…but the plastic tanks are included. I have the rad I pulled from my 87 iC in the shed as a spare

Sean is right - I don’t know of a reasonable aluminum alternative. I think your best bet is with the E36 upgrade from bimmerworld.
-Vic
SO #325

Can’t you just update to the 89+ version? What’s the downside of that?

no downside I don’t think but the E36 one has more rows I think. The early cars have a different sensor setup than the later cars.

Is it legal to convert the cooling system to the late model style? That would give you lots of options for radiators.

traqrat wrote:

Water pumps are not mentioned, only hoses, thermostats and radiators… which, in my strict interpretation of the rules, means that like aluminum bumpers, early cars are stuck with the original-style water pump and radiator (and must keep the expansion tank, so no Summit Racing rads w/o expansion port).

After the last race last season, I decided to fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mix, to get the car through the winter. After releasing the cap, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the car. Somehow, removing the cap allowed the piece of debris to release from the hole it caused and the radiator "peed" on my carport floor. Why it held for so long is a mystery…

I bought the Bimmerworld rad and it went right in. Reasonably priced and having never had a cooling problem, I’ll stick with these. Replacing it every two or three seasons is probably a good PM thing to do.

Carter

I’d just stick with OEM. I replaced mine after an over heat problem, and i have never had a problem cooling since then, and I don’t have a mechanical fan at all. I use an electric fan when I am still in the paddock, but when on track it requires no fan at all. And, it is much better to have a $200 rad up front than a $600 all alum. unit…especially for those unfortunate accidents that may occur before the actual ‘wear life’ of the radiator. I had JUST put a new rad in my first car when it was totalled the first event on track with the new unit–good thing I was not driving!