Radiator hose really close to alternator

The coolant hose that goes from the engine to the radiator and passes by the alternator is really close to the alternator on my car. It’s not touching it but it’s pretty damn close. Is there supposed to some sort of bracket to keep it out of the way?

There’s no bracket, but there is a guide on the lower left frame rail about 6 inches behind the radiator plane that the lower hose goes through. Check to see if yours is missing. You should have 2-3 inches of clearance from the front of the pulley to the hose. Check your hose clamps and hose orientation. You might want to loosen the upper and lower clamps and make sure the hose wasn’t twisted and when it was installed and that it is fully seated on the radiator neck.

Or you can shorten the top and/or bottom of the hose a bit to gain clearance.

This spring I had 3 quality hoses in my hands and each where a different length.

I’ve had my PS pump (since removed) eat my radiator hose on my early model. The best peace of mind on this issue comes from replacing your motor mounts with poly through-bolts.

After slicing open two lower radiator hoses thanks to my alternator, this is what I have found as well. The ones I bought from Pelican Parts don’t fit as well as the last one I picked up from my local Advance Auto Parts. The first hose I sliced on a leisurely drive to work. The second hose I sliced when I hit a very tall curb at Nashville. This latest hose looks to have plenty of clearance now.

[quote=“RRhodes” post=66552]There’s no bracket, but there is a guide on the lower left frame rail about 6 inches behind the radiator plane that the lower hose goes through. Check to see if yours is missing. [/quote] This guide is a hook looking thing. Imagine the hook in the top of a clothes hanger. Now make that hook with a 2" wide piece of sheetmetal. If you don’t have one, make one.

Also, don’t be hesitant to think out of the box. For a while I had a big thick flex tie looped around the hose that pulled it forward an extra 1/2" or so.

FWIW the one I got that fit well also came from Advance. On the other hand the hose I got from them that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing, although perfectly formed, was 10 mm too big on the inlet ID. Seems to be a crap shoot on hoses.

When i wrecked at VIR in march’s rain dance (DE-3), i didn’t blow any hoses or lose pressure. After getting towed back and re-firing to check for signs of life, i noticed water pouring out under the car. Yup: the radiator got pushed back exactly 1.5" and caused that hose that was too close to the alternator fan thing to touch the fan thing and get instantly chewed up upon startup.

I always thought that hose was too close but never fixed it. Got a new hose on it now, and front end damage has been repaired/pulled back out. May be back on track in October but definitely by next February.

Another lesson: if you frantically fill up radiator with tap water cause you ran out of distilled, make sure you flush ASAP when you get home. Forgot about this and found fuzzy Al Oxide inside the t’stat housing inlet after car sat for 4 months waiting on repair; assume radiator is gunked up so i will try to flush system with Prestone radiator flush, then refill. That was a dopey mistake on my part.

I use a wide, 18" long zip tie to hold the hose away from the alternator.

Loop it around the hose and the front opening of the air filter box. The air filter box opening pulls it away from the alternator.

For what I’ve seen/heard, you usually don’t experience the alternator cutting the hose unless your motor mounts are busted.

rrr

[quote=“King Tut” post=66577]

The ones I bought from Pelican Parts don’t fit as well as the last one I picked up from my local Advance Auto Parts. [/quote]

+1 on the Pelican Parts hoses not fitting well.

I highly recommend the IE silicone set but I have a late model.