Radiator drain plug question

I was draining the cooling system and while putting the drain plug back in, I noticed that it will not snug down indicating that it is stripped. Is there any solution to this with the OEM radiator or will I need a new radiator?

It was slightly wet when I went to take the plug out which got my attention. Where the plug goes in seems to be all plastic in that area. Any ideas? It is an 89. I have an early model radiator laying around but I’m not sure what all is involved with making that work, probably more trouble than it’s worth.

Jason

Could you use a tap to enlarge the threads for a slightly bigger bolt? Use a dab of RTV to make sure it seals. Although if this is an older radiator I’d strongly consider replacement. Old and brittle radiator plastic is an accident waiting to happen.

I just had my OEM plastic drain plug head snap off, and I tried to replace it with a bolt and some thread sealant and it still leaked a little bit. The OEM drain plug actually has a little O-ring type area that does the sealing versus the threads doing the sealing. I would just try and chase the threads and throw a new plug in. My local BMW dealership actually had them in stock which tells me they are probably still using the same drain plug on the newer BMWs.