Race Opportunities

I currently have an E36 that I use for DD and HSAX events. Considering advancing to get my comp. license and then the purchase of a race prep. car. Have been thinking about purchasing an SpecE30 but not really sure of all the opportunities to race during the summer months here in the midwest. I live in Wisconsin and use four tracks within driving distance, Road Am, Autobahn, Blackhawk and Milw. Mile. Besides the SpecE30 Nasa events what other racing organizations would be available for additional midwest racing? Is there a significant number of cars entering these midwest events to provide competition? What may I expect in the next few years for these cars and events? Thanks for the information.

I’m moving to the Kansas City area this summer. Buy a Spec E30 and we can race each other… I’m hoping the class will grow out there.

Your SpecE30 can also race with BMWCCA as a Foreign Class (SpecE30) or in some new class that they just created this year. You just have to get your BMWCCA CR comp license which is easy enough because of reciprocity. And you’ll need a few decals.

There are several organizations other than NASA that would permit racing a Spec E30. However, if you want to be competitive you will be disappointed with the changes required to cross over to other classes. For example, a Spec E30 classes as ITS in SCCA and Midwest Council. However, that class allows coil over suspension, intake and exhaust mods, 040-over pistons, aftermarket computers (I believe).

NASA and BMW CCA rules match closely, but at this point the CCA field sizes are pretty small from what I have seen. It sure is fun racing in NASA with a field of 15-25 E30’s though!

Shakey are you a Council member?

ITS is a good class for MidWestern Council. You can find a place in Council for the SE30 in ITS or even in UNR… ITS is probably the natural home for the cars in Council though.

The nice thing about SE30 is that the cars are not nobled by the rules in terms of acceleration. One of the parts of Council HSAX is the ability to get off the line at BFR especially acceleration is 1/2 the battle. E30’s are actually quick off the line.

Sounds to me like a great dual duty car.

Kgobey,

Yes, I am a Council member although most of my time is spent during the HSAX events and usually not there on the WTW days. What I have noticed is a lack of E30’s at any of the MC events. If I were to purchase one it would really enhance my participation competing with like cars. Have you seen much in the way of entrys for Nasa SpecE30 or BMWCCA racing in the Midwest/Great Lakes region?

There are lots of cars in the Great lakes region but none in the Midwest. So you would get competition at the crossover events like Putnam Park, Mid Ohio, Grattan and sometimes Autobahn. Road America is a crossover event this year but not sure if many cars will be going. The only the way the Midwest is going to get going is for a few people to start the class. I know there are others interested around Chicago but nobody wants to be the first. I was one of the first in the great lakes region and it has taken about 4 years to get good numbers here in the great lakes. I hope you take a leap of faith and join us.