RA1s

Florida SpecE30 racers,

In light of the recent CRAZY announcement from NASA National regarding Toyo RA1s again being legal for use until the end of 2009, I’d like to make a proposal - in the FL region, let’s just stick with the R888 for races & qualifying as originally outlined in our series’ rules.

Why? A few of my thoughts…

• The RA1 had already been transitioned out as the series spec tire before the first FL SpecE30 race run last June. John & I are running R888s, I know that Don & Gary have both transitioned to the R888s, and I have to imagine that Andy’s recently completed build was done per the rules which state that the R888 is the only tire permitted.

-If, like me, everyone’s goal for this year is some good, clean, fun & competitive racing - a level playing field will definitely help. Everyone on the same rubber would be a step in the right direction.

• This should make events a little cheaper too - let’s use the tires we have and not feel like we need to run out and buy RA1s just because we think the other guy might.

Opinions & thoughts?
Chime in B)

To all - My exodus from the twisted, sadistic world of SCCA Improved Touring was precipitated by blantant rule violations and overt overspending by many of my competitors, some of whom were SCCA officials. I came to Spec E30 in hopes of escaping this and engaging in some competitive racing - racing whose victor would be determined by the competence of the driver, not the thickness of his or her wallet. Having said this, I may not have mentioned in previous posts that my day job is owning a wholesale tire company, and yes, one of our tire lines is Toyo (hint hint - hit me up for cheap tires). At present I have RA-1’s and R888’s in the warehouse, so I can go either way. However, I will gladly go along with whatever the group decides - in hopes that it will maintain the parity and perhaps even the sanity of the racing. That’s my two cents, but what do I know, Im just a dumb rookie (see provisional NASA license that now adorns my wallet :angry: )

[quote]Florida SpecE30 racers,

In light of the recent CRAZY announcement from NASA National regarding Toyo RA1s again being legal for use until the end of 2009, I’d like to make a proposal - in the FL region, let’s just stick with the R888 for races & qualifying as originally outlined in our series’ rules.

Why? A few of my thoughts…

• The RA1 had already been transitioned out as the series spec tire before the first FL SpecE30 race run last June. John & I are running R888s, I know that Don & Gary have both transitioned to the R888s, and I have to imagine that Andy’s recently completed build was done per the rules which state that the R888 is the only tire permitted.

-If, like me, everyone’s goal for this year is some good, clean, fun & competitive racing - a level playing field will definitely help. Everyone on the same rubber would be a step in the right direction.

• This should make events a little cheaper too - let’s use the tires we have and not feel like we need to run out and buy RA1s just because we think the other guy might.

Opinions & thoughts?
Chime in
[/quote]

I’d love to see some kind of “gentlemens agreement” like this in the MA for the same reasons. An actual rule change to exempt us seems unlikely…

I understand your motive and I would like to be in agreement, but… (there always has to be one) I still have RA1s with some life left in them. They may only have a little life but I was thinking of running the RA1s on Saturday and maybe on Sunday if they are still good. I’m not locked in on this opinion, its just my first thoughts. In addition I’ll probably be racing some SCCA and SE NASA races and to be stuck on only 888s doesn’t sound too appealing.

Also who is planning on running Homestead at the end of May? I’m trying to decide on Homestead or SCCA at Sebring the following weekend.

sir_gary wrote:

[quote]…in addition I’ll probably be racing some SCCA and SE NASA races …
[/quote]

Then there’s your perfect opportunity to use those RA1s up :slight_smile:

[quote]Also who is planning on running Homestead at the end of May? I’m trying to decide on Homestead or SCCA at Sebring the following weekend.
[/quote]

At this point, I’m pretty sure our plan for the May event will be to instruct, not race.

I refuse to be bound by the “Dictatress of the South” - I’ll use whatever tire I feel appropriate for the event. I heard a rumour that Hoosiers may be legal by the time we see the track next…

I’ll agree to buy only R-888s as new tires. But remember, I have a set of wheels sitting boxes in my garage with notires on them. If a good deal on a used set of RA-1s comes along, I’ll have ti tae a hard look.

Don

FWIW - With my previous car (granted FWD) I tested most of the different DOT R compound tires out there - times between the RA-1 and R888 were consistantly within tenths of eachother on same car, same day, same driver. On my car the hierarchy was:

1. Kumho 710
  2. Hoosier R8
  3. BFG G Force R1
  4. Toyo R888
  5. YOKO Advan A048
  6. Toyo RA-1

Spread from best to worst was just about 1.5 seconds. I have been reading on the forum that many believe the RA-1 to be faster but I think it would be conditionally faster (ie maybe with certain driving styles or in high heat) at best. Overall, at Homestead at least, R888 was just a tick quicker.

donstevens wrote:

[quote]I’ll agree to buy only R-888s as new tires. But remember, I have a set of wheels sitting boxes in my garage with notires on them. If a good deal on a used set of RA-1s comes along, I’ll have ti tae a hard look.

Don[/quote]

I hear ya… there’s nothing worse than naked wheels:woohoo:

I"m thinking that unless Toyo puts the RA1 back into production, supply is going to run out eventually and we’ll all be back to the R888… even the legendary RA1 eventually cords or dies. :wink: I’d going to spend this season playing with pressures, set-up and technique to get the 888s to really work on the car. Hopefully!

Did your patch arrive in the mail?

mougl1 wrote:

I’ll be interested to see what we all think after Homestead… I happen to agree that conditions and driving style have a lot to do with a driver’s opinion as to whether the RA1 or the R888 is the hot ticket.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot of track time at Homestead. John and I have both instructed there, but not raced there. This should be fun :slight_smile:

[/quote]It sounds like you’ve got a lot of track time at Homestead. John and I have both instructed there, but not raced there. This should be fun :)[/quote]

Yeah. Im really looking forward to getting back out there. Its been long, too long, since I’ve raced in my own car, and the E30 being new to me should make for some good times. I just hope it doesnt’t break :blink:

I maintain that Homestead is a great facility. Not the most technical track, but smooth as silk and pretty wide so plenty of areas to pass (or be passed :woohoo:) .  

One week to go!