Questions for new HP/Weight rules

I don’t see how this dyno rule is good for SE30. You don’t want guys building motors to keep the costs down, but now we will be spending money to get to the dyno’s so we are legal. And then you have guys questioning & complaining due to the rule.

We will see how it goes once we get a full season under our belt. Hopefully this rule or one similar can be implemented before everyone gets turned away from SE30.

[quote=“barkerdm” post=75925]I don’t see how this dyno rule is good for SE30. You don’t want guys building motors to keep the costs down, but now we will be spending money to get to the dyno’s so we are legal. And then you have guys questioning & complaining due to the rule.

We will see how it goes once we get a full season under our belt. Hopefully this rule or one similar can be implemented before everyone gets turned away from SE30.[/quote]

Technically, you don’t ever have to pay for dynos. Just bring ballast with you and if you get dynoed at the track, you’ll be ready to go.

And if “guys questioning and complaining” about a rule made it a bad rule, we wouldn’t have any! :wink:

This rule is great for the class actually, but let’s just be friendly and honest with each other about a few things:

If NASA sends you to the dyno, you don’t pay, NASA pays. NASA doesn’t routinely send people deep in the field just for fun as a spot check. They send the winner, maybe second place. At nationals they will usually send 1-4. People who win races or show up on the podium are already acutely aware of how much power their car makes, and what it must weigh. People who win races are doing those little extra things that you aren’t doing. People who win races are also not those that are seeing a 8hp swing out of a 160 horsepower engine on the same dyno on the same day. Those people know what makes a dyno needle go up and down, and they will only be seeing a 2-3hp variance, and they will be ballasted for that occurrence.

Let’s not all go being crazy here. I’d lay a bet that people complaining about this rule will never have to worry about spinning those dyno rollers, because they will be too busy chillin’ out in the midpack, and that’s ok too. And, for the record, I don’t think Whittinger was complaining about the rule, he was just asking how it would work. And, for the record, I can’t wait to be there and watch that massive HP beast turn the rollers. That car is going to have to weigh 2900 pounds to be legal.

[quote=“barkerdm” post=75925]I don’t see how this dyno rule is good for SE30. You don’t want guys building motors to keep the costs down, but now we will be spending money to get to the dyno’s so we are legal. And then you have guys questioning & complaining due to the rule.

We will see how it goes once we get a full season under our belt. Hopefully this rule or one similar can be implemented before everyone gets turned away from SE30.[/quote]

As much as going to a dyno is a pain in the ass for me, I would rather spend the $200-300 to really dial it in rather than dump $4-5k into a motor.