Question about Nets

My car came with a window net date stamped 2006. NASA rules state that the net has to be less than 5 years old. BMWCCA rules state that SFI date stamps are usually good until December of that year meaning that technically this net would still be good until December of 2011.

Also, does the side impact net need to have a date stamp? Again, my car came with one but I don’t see a stamp on it all. The rules do not say anything about a date stamp for the side impact net.

Thanks,
J

Both are in great shape btw. No tears, rips, etc. so they would be good from that standpoint.

BMW CR requires nets be updated every 2 years. here’s the relevant rule:

a. Window nets shall expire two years after the date of manufacture at the end of the month of manufacture as indicated on the label. Window nets without a certification label shall be considered as expired and must be replaced.

Same goes for right side nets:

b. Effective 1 Jan 2010:
(1) The interior net must be SFI 37.1 rated and shall expire two years after the date of manufacture at the end of month of manufacture as indicated on the label.
(2) Interior nets without a certification label shall be considered as expired and must be replaced.

You can find the entire ruleset here: http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/ForTheRacer/BMW_CR_Rules-2011-v16.5.pdf

[quote=“kishg” post=55052]BMW CR requires nets be updated every 2 years. here’s the relevant rule:

a. Window nets shall expire two years after the date of manufacture at the end of the month of manufacture as indicated on the label. Window nets without a certification label shall be considered as expired and must be replaced.

Same goes for right side nets:

b. Effective 1 Jan 2010:
(1) The interior net must be SFI 37.1 rated and shall expire two years after the date of manufacture at the end of month of manufacture as indicated on the label.
(2) Interior nets without a certification label shall be considered as expired and must be replaced.

You can find the entire ruleset here: http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/ForTheRacer/BMW_CR_Rules-2011-v16.5.pdf[/quote]

Thanks Kish! So I guess I was sort of mixing the rules the way I wanted them to read :slight_smile: I was going to reply that I was going to race BMWCCA races as SE30 under 4.A.1 NON-BMWCCA CLUB RACING CLASSIFICATION and that the NASA rules prevail. However, looking further at the BMWCCA rules I see that 4.A.5 clarifies that completely.

I will buy new nets…they are realtively cheap anyways.

BUT…for the sake of discussion, let’s assume that I was only going to race NASA. The term “less than 5 years” is pretty vague and it says nothing about dates on the side net. I wonder if it would pass?

BMW CR applies their safety rules even for cars running as a foreign class. I was even asked to run the TireRack windshield banner even though I was racing as SE30.

Does your window net have an SFI label? Mine has a month and year of manufacture. No idea why no expiry is specified for right side nets. Likely because they don’t get exposed to sunlight and are less likely to deteriorate.

That is correct. To run as a guest in a Club Racing event you have to fully comply with the native class rules and comply with the Club Racing rules as far as saftey equipment and decals are concerned.

Older center nets didn’t have expire labels, but as of last year they do. At least those sold by Bimmerworld do.

yeah mine’s the teamtech from BW.

My right side net (Schroth) has a manufacture date on it, and its accompanying literature said that it should be replaced every two years, though NASA doesn’t mention any replacement.

Also, I got my window net a month ago and it has an April 2011 manufacture date. It’s from the future! Supersedes all safety rules!

love the time traveling nets!