Q: radiator overflow catch tank

I’m trying to find some info on how some of you have your catch tanks set up

"7.10.1. A catch tank for radiator overflow and oil breather (if vented into the atmosphere) is mandatory."

Looking for information on size, placement, materials used. Any photos would be greatly appreciated, as they are worth 1,000 words.

Thanks
Scott

I have converted my windshield washer resevoir to work as my overflow. It’s not metal and the tech an Road Atl didn’t say anything about it. I’ll see how long I can get away with it.

there are certain beverage bottles that are made of spun aluminum that could be modified easily, or one of those camp fuel bottles. It does not say what the capacity must be.

Be careful here. I don’t see anything in the rules that actually allow you to vent the oil breather to the atmosphere, nor remove the stock coolant tank.

Expansion tank is already vented to atmosphere thru a hose under the fill cap that just dangles into the frame rail. PCV hose connects to TB

scottmc wrote:

[quote]I’m trying to find some info on how some of you have your catch tanks set up

"7.10.1. A catch tank for radiator overflow and oil breather (if vented into the atmosphere) is mandatory."

Looking for information on size, placement, materials used. Any photos would be greatly appreciated, as they are worth 1,000 words.

Thanks
Scott[/quote]

I bought a catch tank from Pep Boys for 7 and some change. Buy the smaller one and it fits between the overflow tank and the air flow meter. The picture did not want to attach. I will try to attach it again.

nasaregistrar wrote:

Thanks.

I was actually thinking about using one of those. I just wasn’t sure what the rules were.

Per the nasa CCR it must be 1liter (11.4.4 - technically for DE but NASA doesnt have a separate race car CCR). SCCA requires 1qt. Most drink bottles aren’t large enough (need 32oz)

The material is what isn’t specified. The appropriate plastic is fine.

SMD

REI has a number of aluminum "fuel" bottles for around $12. link

Old dead fire extinguishers work too. Great spun aluminum bottles in flashy colors. Very light.

Unscrew the tops after you discharge it. Shake out any powder and mount them up.