Q on splitter rule

[quote]9.3.13.3. Front spoilers, air dams, and splitters are permitted, provided they do not protrude
more than two (2) inches beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from
above, perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most part of the fender opening.
This body outline does not include bumpers or bumper mounts, but does include the
integrated bumper assemblies of 1989 to 1991 models.[/quote]

I have a question about this rule. Does this mean that early bumper cars can have a splitter that is 2" beyond the front airdam, but the later bumper cars with can have 2" beyond the bumper [aka “integrated bumper assemblies”]? If the front of the “integrated bumper assembly” is 2" in in front of the surface of the airdam, it would allow a 4" splitter on a late bumper car while the early bumper cars can have 2". The rule is written as if the air dam is flush with the bumper on late model cars but that is not the case. Why is there such an accommodation for the bumpers on 89-91 cars? Miller is a high speed track and this difference in aero will equal an advantage for late model cars at Nationals.

In this photo you can see the difference (or lack of) between the two types of bumpers/airdams. http://spece30.com/cpg1418/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=6

this is being discussed amongst the regional directors
thanks,
bruce

Bruce, any update?

I am interested in this as well. 2" did seem like a lot. Even in H1 we are limited to 1" outside the shadow.

Wouldn’t allowing bumper swaps equalize this issue? Maybe stipulate that you have to run the same style bumpers front and back?

I’m sorry, but I don’t see the difference, and I have both body styles at home.
In addition, I’m not an engineer or aerodynamist, but on our vehicles how much down force or any other advantage newer car would get? Is it really significant at our speeds and vehicles’ setups?
If we are going to start making this very small differences issues to change rules, and reviews, or allow other changes to other vehicles in “clear” dissadvantage we are going to lose the original, and appeling concept of the series, same rules for the most part each season. I don’t have the patience, time, nor money to start chasing all the little details
I could might as well change body profiles, trim/lift an inch here and there, and since we don’t have the templates to check the oem body profiles who’s going to notice the difference.
There other ways to cheat the rules as well, and nobody is going to notice unless you dissasemble the vehicle completely.
For example, I started racing without the rear spoiler until I found a donor tailgate, and I thought I was going to notice differences in handling or advantages or better times, nope, zero. I got better times when I learned how to handle the vehicle, and I’m still learning.
I will try my best to save money to go to Nationals, and whether I finish first or last, I will race just for fun, because there is no big sponsor waiting for me, no fame, or the start of a new carrier.
Don’t forget, have fun first!!

the rules committee agrees that the rule could use some work but we won’t be changing it before the next round of rules change considerations at the end of the year.
thanks
bruce

9d3 wrote:

Thanks Bruce

AJ and all:

We appreciate you bringing up the issue and please don’t think we just brushed it to the side.

Currently, we’re working on the HP/TQ rule and it has been very difficult.

As Bruce wrote, the bumper/airdam/splitter wording needs some attention; as this was a rule from very early in Spec E30’s life.

For now, if someone is concerned about the legality of a bumper/airdam/splitter, your region’s NASA Compliance Director can make the call in a protest. And as we have said before, a protest is not always a “gotcha” and can be filed in a non-aggressive way to simply get a ruling on a specific issue. Or, just ask the NASA CD to give his/her opinion on an issue.

I know the veterans already know this but because of the fact that we are getting about 10 new Forum members each week, I’ll continue to mention that the Spec E30 Regional Series Directors and I manage the Spec E30 rules (and submit them for NASA’s approval), and NASA enforces them.

And while we traditionally make wording adjustments at the end of the season, because of new car builds, time to make small adjustments to cars over the winter, etc., we can always change or re-word a rule at anytime.

Carter Hunt
Spec E30 National Series Director

Carter wrote:
As Bruce wrote, the bumper/airdam/splitter wording needs some attention; as this was a rule from very early in Spec E30’s life.
[/quote]

Carter, any progress? Looking into splitters now. Also I would think this is going to become a very big deal at Miller because aero is going to be huge on that long long straight, so please clarify sooner than later.

Thanks

jlucas wrote:

I’m working on my prototype now. It’s going to be spring-loaded so it will extend to the bumper outline under 100 mph (for long sweepers), but on the straights it will tuck under the nose to reduce drag.

Signed,

X

Dear racer x:

Learn to drive before you spend any more money chasing foolish things that don’t matter.

Gotta go to get back to my engine rebuild.
Straightaway talent, ya know. Laura gets this next rebuild.

RP

Patton wrote:

I’ll let you in on my REAL secret for Miller - Take the splitter off and just run the air dam for brake cooling.

Steve D.

PS - Will you adopt me so I can get a rebuilt engine? I am feeling pistonally challenged. :laugh:

This thread is full of win. Someone even mentioned E30 and Aero in the same sentence. I spit soda all over my monitor.:laugh: