Q on removing firewall rubber

Hi all,
I am thinking of removing that black rubbery protective material that goes on the part of the firewall and extends to the underside of the car and trany tunnel. Over time it got ripped in few places and bunch of gunk accumulated between it and body (prime ground for rust), and any future removal of trany will be slightly easier (due to more space to access to one of the trany bolts).
In reading the rules I believe that it’s legal to remove (see rules below) however I figured to ask:

[quote]
9.3.13.26. Any sound-deadening/insulation and protective materials may be removed from the interior of the passenger, engine, and trunk compartments.
9.3.13.27. Any undercoating or other protective materials may be removed from the underbody.

9.3.13.5. Modifications to the underside of the vehicle for the purpose of improving aerodynamics are not allowed.
9.3.13.6. Engine under-tray panels may be removed.[/quote]

Regards,
Igor

Igor wrote:

[quote]Hi all,
I am thinking of removing that black rubbery protective material that goes on the part of the firewall and extends to the underside of the car and trany tunnel. Over time it got ripped in few places and bunch of gunk accumulated between it and body (prime ground for rust), and any future removal of trany will be slightly easier (due to more space to access to one of the trany bolts).
In reading the rules I believe that it’s legal to remove (see rules below) however I figured to ask:

[quote]
9.3.13.26. Any sound-deadening/insulation and protective materials may be removed from the interior of the passenger, engine, and trunk compartments.
9.3.13.27. Any undercoating or other protective materials may be removed from the underbody.

9.3.13.5. Modifications to the underside of the vehicle for the purpose of improving aerodynamics are not allowed.
9.3.13.6. Engine under-tray panels may be removed.[/quote]

Regards,
Igor[/quote]I would call that sound-deadening so remove it.

nasaregistrar wrote:

That’s what I thought as well but figured to ask just in case :wink:

Igor

9.3.13.24. Any sound-deadening/insulation and protective materials may be removed from the interior of the passenger, engine, and trunk compartments.

Pull it out of the firewall area, which is in the engine compartment.

Carter