Putnam Park - Results

No one’s gonna get penalized for running into the back of a guy who misshifts on the start. That’s just a racing incident.

He pulled out in front of me and slammed on the brakes, not sure what you want me to do? You’re suppose to hit the gas on the start, not brakes.

Don’t brake on starts = Pro tip

[quote=“sneville44” post=65848][quote=“Z3SpdDmn” post=65846][quote=“sneville44” post=65845]Cool Videos. Putnam Park looks like a fun and safe track to race at. No walls or tire barriers to speak of unlike our Infineon.

Good show guys!

Cheers,
Scott[/quote]
It seems that way… but did you see poor Kyle’s video?![/quote]

Not yet…I watched Simon’s last night!

Sounds like I spoke too soon. :ohmy:[/quote]

Bummer Kyle :frowning: Obviously your OK, how did you car fair?

Took it straight from the track to the body shop. Waiting to hear if they can straighten it out (should be able to). I’m fine.

Don’t lift on start > Don’t brake on start

Just got word from the body guy–we’ll be ready for GingerMan!

NASA Great Lakes/Midwest Spec E30 Putnam May 2012 Race Report

The first Great Lakes/Midwest crossover event of 2012 promised to be a great weekend for the growing Spec E30 class. A record 13 racecars with 3 ‘Future Spec E30s’ where in attendance at Putnam Park, and with Mother Nature dialing up some great Mother’s Day weekend weather, we were all set for an awesome weekend of racing.

This weekend’s entry list included from the Great Lakes veterans Rich Bratton, Cameron Bullard, Simon Hunter, Jeremy Lucas, Anthony Magagnoli, and Michael Osborne along with relative new comers Denny Barker and Rob Thornton. Mason Meredith made the trip after his first race weekend at Mid-Ohio in April as well as the return of Carl Furhumann after a 2 year break. Joining the Great Lakes racers were veteran racers but new to SpecE30 Kyle Burkhardt and Tom Tiede. Rob Rhodes, who like Meredith, was fresh off is first race weekend at Autobahn a month earlier. A big thank you goes out to Midwest director Burkhardt for fighting off the wolves to claim some prime pavement for all the E30’s in the paddock.

With a packed house, NASA ran 3 race groups putting all the German make cars on track together. Saturday qualifying was a bit crowded, making it hard for some to get in a clean lap. Never the less the grid was set with Bratton setting the pace turning a 1:23.9 followed by Bullard, Lucas, Magagnoli, Tiede, Burkhardt, Barker, Meredith, Thornton, Furhamann, and Rhodes. Osborne suffered a penalty and Hunter didn’t make it out due to a rear brake issue forcing the vets to start in the rear.

For the race, the green was first given to all the GTS cars followed by a 2nd wave headed by the Spec944 with SpecE30 behind. Bullard on outside pole got a great jump on the rolling start, passing a trailing 944 and tucked in behind another 944 until a bit of chaos ensued. A lead 944 missed a shift causing the 944 in front of Bullard to hit the brakes. Bullard had nowhere to go but into the back of the 944 sending him spinning. Magagnoli was right behind Bullard and performed the save of the race driving left into the grass to dodge the spinning 944. The save cost him as he went from 4th to the back of the pack. Meanwhile after a good start of his own, Barker took to the grass on the right as the other E30’s hit the brakes putting him side by side with Tiede as they entered the braking zone. Going into turn 1 the running order was Bratton, Lucas, Barker, Tiede, Burkhardt, and Bullard with his newly created ‘Don’t Mess with Me’ front end. Barker and Tiede battled hard through the first series of corners while Bullard and Magagnoli rebounded. Hunter also capitalized on the first lap passing over half the field from his last row starting spot. When the dust cleared after the first lap, the vets showed their strength by going straight to the front making the running order Bratton, Lucas, Tiede, Bullard, Hunter, Barker, Magagnoli, Osborne, Burkhardt, Furhamann, Meredith, Thornton, and Rhodes. Magagnoli continued his push towards the front with some great racing with Bullard, Lucas, Tiede, and Hunter. He was able to turn a bad start into a 2nd place finish. Mid-pack, Barker was holding his own in front of ‘The Battle of the Directors’ between Osborne and Burkhardt. Barker started fighting a very lose car and eventually spun coming out of 7 giving him a front row view as ‘The Battle’ came streaking by. He quickly regrouped and found himself fighting to hold his position from the charging Thornton. After holding off some great moves by Thornton and even barely avoiding other spin in 9, Barker was able to hold his position at the finish. Meanwhile, ‘The Battle’ was still raging but had a very unfortunate ending when Burkhardt caught the curbing wrong exiting turn 2 sending him sideways into one the few areas with armco. He hit fairly hard on the driver’s side, but was ok. The race ended a lap later with Bratton taking the win followed by Magagnoli, Bullard, Lucas, Tiede, Osborne, Barker, Thornton, Furhamann, Meredith, Rhodes, Burkhardt, and Hunter who pitted early when his car developed a bad vibration.

Upon returning to the paddock, it was all hands on deck as the SpecE30 family descended to the damaged cars of Bullard and Burkhardt to insure they would be able to race on Sunday. After an inspection of Burkhardt’s car, there was some concern over sub frame damage. He decided to take the car straight to the shop. Mean while, Bullard, his dad, and various SpecE30 members performed some outstanding body work with nothing more than wood, hammers, and a tow strap!

Sunday morning saw 11 cars hit the track after Rhodes was plagued with engine troubles. Once again Bratton set the pace in qualifying followed by Magagnoli, Lucas, Hunter, Bullard, Tiede, Barker, Meredith, Osborne, Thornton, and Furhamann. Sunday’s race was a standing start. At the drop of the flag, Magagnoli pulled on Bratton to get the initial jump but Bratton was able to hold him off. Lucas was in hot pursuit from 3rd as the front runners drove into 1. Barker had a great start from 7th and quickly got around Bullard with his bad 2nd gear syncro. Aided by another miss shift in the outside lane, Barker and Tiede again went side by side into turn 1 with Barker eventually taking the position with the preferred line. The order into turn 1 was Bratton, Magagnoli, Lucas, Barker, Tiede, Hunter, Osborne, Meredith, Bullard, Thornton, and Furhamann. Bullard rebounded nicely from a slow start and quickly moved pass Meredith and Osborne in the first few corners and followed Hunter’s wake as they both passed Tiede going into 1. The dueo hooked up again through 9-10 to get passed Barker as they chased down Lucas. Hunter and eventually Bullard were able to make it by Lucas as the faster GTS cars entered the mix. Magagnoli, Hunter, Bullard, and Lucas were all battling for position as the GTS cars became very impatient making it 3-4 wide in the braking zones, even taking to the grass instead of waiting for the straights to unleash their twice as powerful engines. The chaos lead to a slower Spec944 not seeing Bullard alongside as they went through turn 6. Bullard was forced over the curbing, which ripped off his splitter, forcing him to pit. Bullard was able to make it back on track and even set the fastest lap of the weekend at 1:23.4. Further back in the field, Tiede was leading Barker as they battled for position until again two faster GTS cars showed no patience forcing Barker to the grass entering turn 7. Thornton was able to get by but eventually surrendered the position back to Barker. Back to the front, Magagnoli was struggling on old tires to hold off Hunter as the race neared its end. Hunter was able to make it by Magagnoli for 2nd after Magagnoli’s exit was ruined by another GTS car that dive bombed him in 10 instead of waiting for the straight. Bratton was too far gone and cruised to the win. He was followed by Hunter, Magagnoli, Lucas, Barker, Bullard, Meredith, Furhamann, Osborne, Tiede, and Thornton. Thornton actually finished just in front of Bullard for 6th but was unfortunately DQ’ed after the race for being under weight. Tiede retired from 5th with a broken rocker arm. Osborne also retired early just a few laps before the end.

Overall it was a great weekend of racing. It is great to see how the SpecE30 class has grown in the regions over the past few years while still maintaining the family atmosphere. After returning home, Burkhardt learned that his car can be fixed and will be finished in time for the Midwest race at Gingerman. In the mean time the Great Lakes guys will be running at Grattan with another strong field.

Wow, nice write up.

Well, Denny, you know what they say… If you do something well, you’ll be asked to do it again! NICE JOB!

Awesome job Denny. You make us sound like ballers! haha

I had an awesome time as well, no wheel to wheel action for me, but I was able to move up to HPDE3. Many thanks for the hospitality and paddock space. I look forward to seeing some of you at Grattan next weekend!

I was the red Future SpecE30 #606 btw.

Wish I could have been there. The 2 lower MI events are right between our two regions. I don’t understand why they aren’t crossovers.

[quote]

Don’t lift on start > Don’t brake on start[/quote]

13.1.5 Provisional Licenses Completion:
Once a driver has been issued a Provisional License, he/she will only be allowed to
compete in those events hosted by the Region of issuance. Each time a Provisional
License holder completes a race without incident = without contact , or so I’ve been told by certain series directors…

Here’s the deal on contact at the start… It is avoidable. But the guys in front have to avoid being an asshat, and so should you… At Putnam the start is a little tricky and close due to the design of the pit entry… the best course of action is to avoid hitting AND being hit… DON’T get over excited, remain calm, use the car to accelerate (because you can’t will it to go any faster - no matter how much to grit your teeth or wring the life our of the steering wheel) and sit and enjoy the ride… If anything unexpected happens, judge the moment for what it is: do I have an escape route? Can I minimize the incident? can I take to the grass? You’ll know in time where and where certain options are… I do know people who win their races at the start, but I have a tendency to wait for a better time to make my moves.

I’ve only ever seen this term used before here, about 1 week ago for the first time, and you’d think I’d get it from context, but what the hell is an “ass-hat”?

I agree, almost all contact is avoidable. I had a really good start, so I was pulling on most of the field. That blue 944 inched over in front of me, not a big deal, until he slammed on his brakes so he didn’t bump the guy in front of him…

On a race start I don’t expect people to brake. For now on I’m going to think twice when I’m that close to someone in front of me. It’s like driving down the high way, you don’t expect someone to slam on the brakes. I agree it happens, but its not normal behavior.

In my opinion the guy should have either went around the guy or just bumped him. The only reason my car was damaged so bad is because he was braking. The nose drops, back end goes up, and he was picked up on my bumper.

As far as the licensing thing, my license isn’t provsional, so I’m not sure of the relevance. And when Anthony used the word “ass-hat” he meant the guy in the GTS car is an asshole, not a nice person, rude, unpleasant, etc.

I’m just bemoaning the fact that mine is and I’d have had a lot more 'splanin to do. I agree with everything you’ve said and in fact what you did. What was sitting in front of a 944 that was slower than it was anyway? I was surprised at how well you were able to run given the damage I saw to your hood. I kept waiting for steam from the cracked radiator.

The guy in front of the 944 I hit apparently missed a shift. I was just as surprised as you were I was waiting for water to fly up on the windshield or the car to over heat.

Thanks for the compliments. Yes Anthony, I know I just nominated myself to do more.

As far as the provisional license, as long as the race directors don’t know who you are, you will be fine. If you catch my drift.

Well, the RD has your license in his hands all weekend, you’ve got big-ass orange stripes and placards all over the back of your car and big R’s next to the 43 number decals spread around the body. You’re kind of easy to find. But I do get your drift.