Protest this weekend at VIR

At VIR this past weekend, a driver filed a protest against two cars, citing missing stock parts. Both protested cars were missing the panels behind the headlights and one was missing the left side exterior headlight surround grill trim. The protester was concerned that the missing parts allowed more, and cooler air into the intake, giving a performance advantage. Without the panel and the exterior grill on one car, the intake did have a very good "view" of the outside.

After a lengthy discussion, that unfortunately got a bit emotional but not extremely heated, the protester chose to withdraw the protest, if the drivers of the protested cars agreed to install the missing parts by the next race weekend.

Admirably, the two drivers found the missing parts and installed them prior to the Sunday race.

During the discussion (I was called as a Spec E30 official) the protested drivers explained that the panels were missing when they bought the cars. However, the driver is responsible for the car, regardless of who built it or how it was raced in the past. If an item is protested, all the NASA Compliance officials care about is right here and right now.

If you have any questions about your car, look at the Rules very carefully. You might also examine a well-kept E30 street car.

Carter

I for one am glad the system is working. And Hats off to the protester. I am sure he or she cought a lot of flack for the protest but rules are rules. God knows that Carter and the others have preached about compliance and if the illegal parties are on this board I can’t see how they would not of known about these things. I purchased a whole new car to build my SpecE30 from due to this very fact. I am not sure what is missing from my ITS car and wanted to make sure it was all there.

I would also think that it these items would be a performance advantage. Per Carter’s clarification on ABS I have made sure mine is back and working properly. Not sure it is faster or not but it is working.

Can’t wait for Nationals.

Michael O.

Is there a good reference for verifying these type of parts? Like detailed stock photos etc?

Thanks!!!

I had an extra set of the plastic parts for behind the head lights a while ago and I sent them to another racer that needed them.

I am all for enforcing the rules, but keeping track of these parts that are easy to miss and are frequently lost or thrown away by the previous owners of our 20 year old cars is a little frustrating.

I do not see any reason why we have to keep these mandatory. They take 2 seconds to remove if you have them on, They weigh nothing, and I can’t see any purpose that they serve. If you don’t have them, you can spend quite a while finding a set and it sounds like 2 people were almost DQed for it.

If reading the rulebook word for word, I think I could be DQed for not having the BMW Roundel on my hood. I am glad cooler heads prevailed.

might be a bit hard to use, but www.realoem.com can show you the parts that are supposed to be on your car if you enter your VIN.
bruce

bmwpower wrote:

[quote]Is there a good reference for verifying these type of parts? Like detailed stock photos etc?

Thanks!!![/quote]

bmwpower wrote:

[quote]Is there a good reference for verifying these type of parts? Like detailed stock photos etc?

Thanks!!![/quote]

yeah, stay tuned…
You don’t have a roundel on your hood? :unsure:
bruce

Peakracer.com wrote:

[quote]

I do not see any reason why we have to keep these mandatory. They take 2 seconds to remove if you have them on, They weigh nothing, and I can’t see any purpose that they serve. If you don’t have them, you can spend quite a while finding a set and it sounds like 2 people were almost DQed for it.

If reading the rulebook word for word, I think I could be DQed for not having the BMW Roundel on my hood. I am glad cooler heads prevailed.[/quote]

I would never protest someone for this kind of thing but I completely respect someone for doing it. Thats pretty much the only way the rules get enforced.

Roundels are cool- keep extras :stuck_out_tongue:

:pinch:

From another thread

jblack wrote:

[quote]COVERING LEFT 51-71-1-965-241 $9.40
COVERING RIGHT 51-71-1-965-252 $9.40

Those are list prices at the dealer. I’m sure with a BMWCCA discount you can get them for less. For less than 20 bucks, it’s not worth scrounging and shipping, IMHO…

While you’re there, you need 4 clips to install them (2 per side).[/quote]

Also from that thread you can find them at http://www.vinesauto.com/ for cheap

secu wrote:

[quote]From another thread

jblack wrote:

[quote]COVERING LEFT 51-71-1-965-241 $9.40
COVERING RIGHT 51-71-1-965-252 $9.40

Those are list prices at the dealer. I’m sure with a BMWCCA discount you can get them for less. For less than 20 bucks, it’s not worth scrounging and shipping, IMHO…

While you’re there, you need 4 clips to install them (2 per side).[/quote]

Also from that thread you can find them at http://www.vinesauto.com/ for cheap[/quote]

Like Bruce said, don’t be in a hot hurry to run off and add this particular part if it’s currently missing from your car.

I had to go to a junkyard and find backing plates last year. It’s a dumb part to require in my humble opinion. I do agree we should keep the headlight surrounds.

I am encouraged to hear about the protests on the east coast, and that they are regarded as a positive thing to protect the integrity of the rules. I expect there will more of them on the west coast next season.

This is absurd, in the rule book it clearly states you can remove both headlight backing plate.
9.3.1.1.3. Both left and right side plastic panels behind the headlights shall be removed.

[quote=“euro628” post=64014]This is absurd, in the rule book it clearly states you can remove both headlight backing plate.
9.3.1.1.3. Both left and right side plastic panels behind the headlights shall be removed.[/quote]

Probably didn’t 4 years and 7 months ago when this thread was started… :wink:

Well I just arrived :stuck_out_tongue: