Primary Cooling Fan

Having just pulled the main engine cooling fan and shroud, are any other related modifications that need to be accounted for?
I have put in a new temp switch for the electric (auxiliary) fan which uses the lower 80/88 degree settings. I’ll probably wire that fan into the cockpit but for now the temp switch will turn it on or off as needed.
Anything else?
Do I just leave the fan pulley in place or can that be bi-passed with a different size belt so that the other power accessories run directly from the alternator?
Many thanks,
Rob

[quote]I’ll probably wire that fan into the cockpit but for now the temp switch will turn it on or off as needed.
[/quote]
it’s already connected - every time you push AC button it aux fan will turn on (to the lower of the two speeds IIRC)

[quote]Do I just leave the fan pulley in place or can that be bi-passed with a different size belt so that the other power accessories run directly from the alternator?
[/quote]
Hmm, which puley are you talking about? Mech fan, that you just removed, connects to the water pump, and puley there is needed for it (H2O pump)

HTH
Igor

Thanks for the reply, Igor.
I actually still have working AC in my car, so pressing the button at any time other than when the inside of the windows are completey fogged-up isn’t an option. But a good point for when I do pull the AC.

My question on the pulley was really whether I can/should bypass the fan pulley and just drive the water pump directly off of the alternator.

Probably no benefit in doing so, but thought I’d ask.
Rob

the water pump pulley and the fan pulley are the same thing…right?

I am not getting what you are thinking of.

The crank pulley (with three grooves in it) turns the fan/waterpump pulley and turns the alternator on one groove.

Then a seperate belt for AC and a seperate belt for PS…right?

(I am running from memory so I may be dead wrong!)

No way to bypass the fan pulley as it is the same as the waterpump pulley.

Just remove the fan clutch leave everything else alone. (well you can remove the PS and AC too while you are at it!)

Ric

RJME wrote:

[quote]Thanks for the reply, Igor.
I actually still have working AC in my car, so pressing the button at any time other than when the inside of the windows are completey fogged-up isn’t an option. But a good point for when I do pull the AC.

My question on the pulley was really whether I can/should bypass the fan pulley and just drive the water pump directly off of the alternator.

Probably no benefit in doing so, but thought I’d ask.
Rob[/quote]

Bypassing the fan pulley would mean taking the water pump out of the loop- not a good plan.

The alternator is driven by a belt off the crank pulley, which also drives the waterpump/mechanical fan.

You can just remove the fan clutch/fan assembly if you have enough faith in your cooling system or an electric fan in place.

Bret.

keep an eye on your temps - it is usually recommended to remove the a/c condensor when the main fan is removed
cheers
bruce

Got it.
Thanks for the help guys.
Rob