Preparing for cage install - sunroof question

Next weekend I drop my car off for a (half for now) cage. I’ll save a few bucks by pulling out the headliner and sunroof garbage myself ahead of time. Does the sunroof come out via GnP (grab n’ pull)? Does anyone have any pictures of their sunroof cassette removal before/during/after? Even after would probably be enough.

Thanks

Removing the sunroof is a real bear. It involves cutting and prying and cussing and etc…

When you are all done you then need to figure out how to hold the panel in. I feel it is important to do all this as it allows the cage to be installed higher in the car for added protection.

You first must remove the sunroof panel and then get to cutting the cassette out. Be careful to only cut those tabs that need cut. You also need to heat up the factory glue and pry out what you can.

Good Luck.

Michael

Don’t forget to check for all the spotwelds around the inner lip of the opening. Make sure you drill those out before doing too much prying or you will end up bending the #$%@^% out of your roof. As the saying around here goes…ask me how I know.
Good luck.

Bob

I used an air chisel to cut the welded tabs/seams. Michael is right, removing the sunroof cassette is a bear. If you have access to an air compressor, air chisels are pretty cheap (Campbell Hausfeld) here’s a link for Campbell Hausfeld tools:

http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/air_tools/chisels/

They show the one I bought for $14.95

Good luck,
(I recommend safety glasses and ear plugs!)
Scott Neville
#44 NorCal SpecE30
http://www.norcalspece30.com

OriginalSterm wrote:

[quote]Next weekend I drop my car off for a (half for now) cage. I’ll save a few bucks by pulling out the headliner and sunroof garbage myself ahead of time. Does the sunroof come out via GnP (grab n’ pull)? Does anyone have any pictures of their sunroof cassette removal before/during/after? Even after would probably be enough.

Thanks[/quote]

Do a search for sunroof and spend an hour reading old posts. There is a wealth of info here.

Lots of threads on this topic already, but does the headliner just pull out?

Yes, except in the back - where it is glued to the c-pillar with something that will outlive cockroaches on this planet. Good luck with that - if you care how that spot looks.

I’ve read all the sunroof stuff; some people make it harder than it needs to be.

Once you get the sunroof panel out (not very difficult - see Bentley), the cassette is easily cut out with a cheap air body saw. Cut out the inner parts first to reduce weight but leave the center rib that is spot welded to the roof.

You might get lucky - the bonded sections my car pulled off easily with a bit of heat in the metal.

I skinned the sunroof with a whizzer and had a friend weld it back onto the roof with some flat bar tabs. Filled the seams with short-strand glass fiber filler and sanded it down. Of course, that all requires painting the roof afterward, which I haven’t done yet. Looks like hell but makes for a very strong roof.

Good luck!