Poor idle

Not a vacuum leak as far as I can tell. New ICV. Gets a little better when warm. Seems to run just fine otherwise. Hitting WGI this weekend, I’d like to get this sorted before then. Any suggestions?

Unless you’ve done a smoke test, I’d suspect a vacuum leak. They can be diabolical. You could try spraying butane or something else flammable around the vac lines and see if a certain spot seemed to make the engine surge.

Don’t blow yourself up.

There’s an interesting old thread at bf.c on how to make your own smoke generator.

Here’s an example: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081547.html

Smoke test was done. Nothing found, doesn’t mean there wasn’t anything there, I know they are elusive.

Disconnect idle control valve. Turn up idle to ~1400rpm…win. CB

cwbaader wrote:

Got the same problem so I may just have to try this one out. Sounds like an easy fix to me!

Usually when I have poor idle it means I forgot to reconnect the ICV or AFM to the harness, or I forgot to put my oil filler cap back on. If not one of those it could be a vacuum leak. I now have poor idle after doing the performance valve lash adjustment of .006 and .008

I just went through this. My issue ended up being an injector o-ring was bad. I grabbed a can of carb cleaner and started spraying until the idle rose.

I also found the intake gaskets were not in the greatest shape. It was fairly difficult to determine which one was actually leaking, so everything got replaced.

I did same test with carb cleaner. one of my injector o-rings leaked too, did seal/cap kit… helped, but but still idles poorly. mine almost stalls when first firing up, initial start with big drop in rpm’s then pulsates 2-300 rpm till she warms up. after warm it still is a lil rough. i think intake gaskets.

Haven’t thought to check the o-rings for the injectors, but I bet I too have a leak there. When I did the motor swap the night before Comp School I had to move a couple of injectors over too because the caps were missing. The o-rings looked a little dry, but seemed “ok enough”. The idle has been rubbish since the motor change…

anyone know what the vacuum should be at idle?

Ray