Plating fasteners

One of the things Rich and I learned at Metric Mechanic is that old serviceable fasteners, and other steel bits, can be replated at a reasonable cost. For no logical reason, I really like new looking fasteners. They add an appealing sparkle to your work that says “I’m high end. I wasn’t cobbled together at 2AM in Scott’s garage. No no, I’m some high end shit.”

From dismantling a number of cars over the years I’ve a bezillion fasteners carefully organized in little drawers, but it’s always irked me that they all look like crap. Years ago I tried bead plasting them and I tried a media vibrator, but nothing worked very well. Then I saw how MM’s fasteners came back from plating. They looked terrific.

I’ve finally gotten around to asking MM who it was that did their plating and I’m going to send them a box of fasteners.

The quality of plating varies state to state because there’s lots of environmental restrictions on the process. So the highly effective plating technique an outfit can use in one state, isn’t allowed in an adjacent state. That’s why I wanted to use MM’s outfit. And by using a USPS Priority box you can send lots of fasteners for not much $$.

Once I get this done I’ll tell y’all how it worked out.

Two alternatives: first, stainless steel from Mcmaster…once over the buffing wheel and it looks like chrome. Second, glass bead blasting…this gives a really nice finish. CB

I talked to CaMyer Electroplating today about the 20lbs of fasteners I sent them. It’s going to cost $40 + $10.50 for the USPS flat rate priority box. 20lbs is a lot of fasteners so this is a big score.

How to do this.

1. Get the fasteners as clean as you can. Soak them in solvent and stir them around a bit.

2. Get two USPS Priority boxes and note how much it costs to ship that box. Fold up one of the boxes and put it in the other with your fasteners. Write a note that gives them the basic info, I used “Yellow Zinc” plating, and write a check that will cover the plating charge, the charge for the mailing the USPS Priority box, and a couple extra bucks just to be sure. Assume $2/lb of fasteners. Google CaMyer Electroplating to get the address.

3. After you figure they’ve rec’d the box, give CG Bradley a call and confirm that your $$ will cover the charge. Be nice, we’re really not worth his trouble.

Other notes.
You don’t have to do USPS but it’s the cheapest way because of the flat rate Priority boxes. If you want to do UPS instead, you need to send them a prepaid shipping label. UPS is their preferred way.

You will pay more if you send them individual groups of fasteners and expect them back in the same groups.

They don’t do credit cards.

I don’t know if they can plate non-ferrous materials so I’d talk to CG before sending him aluminum parts.

I got the fasteners back last week and neglected to get back to this thread. They look fabulous. Score.

FYI - It is not too difficult to do DIY electro plating. Kits are easy to find on the web. Helps to have a regulated power supply. I’ve done some brake calipers as well.

From my drawer of 8mm fasteners.