Paging the great Ranger

Just want to confirm, is this the correct t-stat housing needed for a 14mm adapter and gauge?

Yes. I never really understood why some tstat housings have the 2 big 14mm bolts and some don’t. But I’ve several spare tstat housings that do, and they’re all beadblasted and pretty if anybody wants one.

Thank you sir.

Initially there were two M20 thermostat housing used. One with two ports for M20B25 engines and one with four ports for M20B27 engines. At some point BMW dropped the two port variant and if you get a new housing it will be the four port type.

I guess I should’ve been more specific. Turns out, it is 14mm but the 1/8" female input does not help me with my MECHANICAL coolant gauge installation. Now I either have to find a 1/8 inch male adapter with a long enough shaft for the sensor to fit or look at another option.

Mechanical makes it harder. Email Chuck Baader, cwbaader (at) gmail (dot) com, and ask him how he connected his mechanical temp sensor.

I was able to drill out and tap one of the OEM coolant sender locations to 3/8" NPT for my mechanical coolant gauge sender. I don’t really trust the OEM gauge anymore, so no need to hook it up. I can take pics if you would like.

Yes, pics please.

I may have the answer as to “why”. I have an 86 325es see the attached thermostat housing pic as compared to the 88 325is housing. Looks like the earlier years required additional sensors, and as the sensors disappeared in later models i’m guessing the holes were just plugged until the supply system was depleted and the newer housings were made.