OT: Looking at new tow vehicle. Need an opinion

Ok I’m looking at updating my current 99 Tahoe for a later 04-05 model. I found what I thought was the perfect Tahoe for me… 05, Z71, Silver, all the options, great price only 30k miles. Just when I thought I found THE car, I look underneath and notice quite a bit of rust on various suspension components. The bottom of the shocks, front axles, drive shaft, etc. Not much on the frame itself, just the suspension bits mostly. The car is a GM certified vehicle with a 5 yr/100k drive train warranty.

I looked at the CARFAX and it shows it spent first two years in Ohio. I looked at a couple of other nice examples several of which were from the northern states and they all seem to show a similar amount of rust. On examples that have spent their life in the south, I see very little rust on components.

My question is should I be concerned or is this normal surface rust?

Thanks for the feedback.

Do some research for common problems on these trucks. I just found out that it is common for the oil pans to rust out on 7.3 ford diesels. Mine is shot, and you have to lift the whole engine to replace it. 12 hours of labor, if I had caught it sooner maybe I could have done so preventative measures…

Keep in mind that tow vehicles are becoming easier and easier (AKA cheaper) to come by as nobody wants them due to the gas prices. I don’t know any specific problems with the Tahoe, but noticeable rust on an '05 seems a little troubling!

Find a soccer mom dumping a big SUV that’s barely been used and you should be able to get a steal.

Ohio, parts of PA, NY and all of New England are notorious for rusty undercarriages. I’d look for one a little further south. Working on stuff like that quickly becomes a PITA when fasteners stick or break off.

I’ve had good results buying my cars from MD (I live in PA).

I’d rather find a soccer mom that’s barely been used! :laugh:

Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]I’d rather find a soccer mom that’s barely been used! :laugh:

Sasha[/quote] lol

Keith,
I use to have a '98 Suburban 1/2 ton with the 350. It did alright towing but went through a lot of brakes and got around 9-10 MPG with trailer. 2 yrs ago I bought a used’04 Yukon 2500. I love it for pulling a trailer. 67K still have orig brakes and they look good. Tranmission has tow/haul mode which is great on hills. Everthing is heavier and will last longer. Truck has 6.0 litre and best part is with trailer I can get from 11 to 12.7 MPG. For pulling a trailer I think it is cheaper to run than the 1500. Fortunately I don’t have to run it daily. The 1500 will do better on mileage without trailer.

Good luck.
Seth