OK, how prepared do you want me to be?

OK, so for years I’ve been whining like a little girl to my Wife that my trusty old Miata is too small for me to continue on with without spending large amounts of cash on making it a racecar.

We’re finally on the same page.

So, the hunt for a suitable E30 will begin sometime this summer.

How prepared do I have to be, to make it onto the grid and be classed in SpecE30?

OEM Wheels - OK
Use the R888’s (or is it RA1’s?)
Springs, shocks and sways…
4 point bolt in cage (yeah yeah yeah - this is just theory at this point)

Anything else to be classed for SpecE30?

Is this assuming you already have all of the required safety gear?

Reading the SE30 rules should make most everything crystal clear. Stock wheels are fine. RA1’s will be the required tire again. Spec exhaust and suspension kit. Master switch, fire extinguisher, and all the safety gear. Read the rules over and over…if it doesn’t say you can do it, you can’t.

kgobey wrote:

[quote]

Anything else to be classed for SpecE30?[/quote]

No a 4 pt cage is not legal, seriously read the rules and then get back to us when you have more specific questions. There is also a getting started doc in the faq section of this site.

http://spece30.com/content/category/3/75/66/

kgobey wrote:

I’ve built one of each - a 1999 Miata and a 1989 E30. The costs are not that different on an apples-to-apples build, actually.

My E30 was more expensive to build than the Miata but that is because I put a lot of new parts to try to make it bulletproof reliable (engine wiring harness, sensors, relays, etc.)

Elephant4 wrote:

[quote]kgobey wrote:

[quote]

Anything else to be classed for SpecE30?[/quote]

No a 4 pt cage is not legal, seriously read the rules and then get back to us when you have more specific questions. There is also a getting started doc in the faq section of this site.

http://spece30.com/content/category/3/75/66/[/quote]apart from the dismissive tone of the email, this was helpful.

For some reason, I thought NASA’s cage rules were 4 point.

I’ve around the block (and around and around and around) for years, almost 2 decades, I again interested in getting back into competition. This is a good class for me considering my history with the BMW club and with the e30 platform in general.

BTW Hunter, I watched your video :), I miss the MidWest tracks, especially Gingerman, I did my first IT race there in 96. :S

Steve D wrote:

[quote]kgobey wrote:

I’ve built one of each - a 1999 Miata and a 1989 E30. The costs are not that different on an apples-to-apples build, actually.

My E30 was more expensive to build than the Miata but that is because I put a lot of new parts to try to make it bulletproof reliable (engine wiring harness, sensors, relays, etc.)[/quote]For me, the fab work to get my fat head under the roll bar is expensive, for the same money I can start on a different car, add 2 years to my goals and be safer and happier in an E30 or E36.

shaunatl wrote:

[quote]Is this assuming you already have all of the required safety gear?[/quote]Yeah, and some of it hasn’t expired either!!! :woohoo:

another thought - if you want to build your car in stages, once you meet the safety requirements you can run in either PT or GTS until you have all the Spec E30 required parts installed.
bruce

Kgobey, I seem to recall there is a car for sale in the midwest with a pretty significant discount compared to what it would cost to replicate. Search for threads by “coloradomark”.

“OK, how prepared do you want me to be?”

Be prepared to always be behind me.

• and the smack talk begins…

Glad to see you here. I’m just now getting active since my car is almost done. The Southern California contingent is growing.

Thanks, good ideas all, I have family in the MidWest might work for me.

reed wrote:

[quote]“OK, how prepared do you want me to be?”

Be prepared to always be behind me.

Glad to see you here. I’m just now getting active since my car is almost done. The Southern California contingent is growing.[/quote]I heard you were afraid of passing Red Miata’s…

Next time you fake slow-pass me I’ll just have a sudden lane change!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

kgobey wrote:

[quote]reed wrote:

[quote]“OK, how prepared do you want me to be?”

:p[/quote]

Don’t worry Kieran. Frank will be re-learning how to “really” drive after everything he forgot since selling the E30 (that E36 power and coilovers taught him a lot of bad habits) :unsure:

Kieran, please don’t be distracted by the spacious interior of the E30. It will take awhile to get used to a car you don’t have to fold yourself in half to get into.

I’ll be sure to dial it back for the photo at the checkered, “Boy look how evenly matched those Spec E30s are”.

Smack? We don’t need no smack talk here.

kgobey wrote:

Just a point of clarification. That “Midwest” car is in Colorado. Gasman doesn’t know exactly where that is, but he’s pretty sure its one of them rectangular states out thatta way. :laugh:

PS - To those of us in Georgia, most of the country is “the west”. :huh:

Chris!

So who we got from instructor corps? Chris, Frank, (me if I can get enough for the Miata) and well, Dave Reed (instructor to be???)…

Would be good if the 4 of were running together huh…

Chris - you going to bring the car to the next school?

Chris, BTW I assume you’ll be slowing to allow me to catch you after having been lapped?

kgobey wrote:

[quote]
Chris - you going to bring the car to the next school?[/quote]

You bet. I figure what better breeding ground for building the class than all the unsuspecting HPDE students :wink:

I just need to add the right seat and away we go.