Oil Pump Failures????

I am going to be doing some work in the next few weeks to help keep the oil in the engine and not on the floor in the shop. On the to do list is the pan gasket. On to my question is it worth is to replace the oil pump while in there? I am usually a while your in there guy, but know the oil pump very rarely fails. So Replace or not?

Also what do you guys usually do about leaking oil cooler lines.

I read something the other week about our oil pumps that said that we should not bother to change oil pumps because they just don’t fail. I wonder if oil pump failure data supports the practice of routinely replacing them when the oil pan comes off.

I’m no engine rebuild guru, but I am tired of throwing money at my motor just to get it to run. I can see myself not buying the oil pump unless I could come up with a reason why my oil pump might genuinely need replacing.

Oil cooler lines. Mine were leaking one weekend. Shop didn’t tighten them with they put in an oil pressure sender. The just needed to be tightened.

I hate to mess with a good thing. I think a German guy named Stein put my engine together. He was 8ft tall with 40" biceps lol

I’ve never heard of an oil pump failure.

87isMan wrote:

You should meet his brother Frank.

If you have a real high mileage engine I would replace the pump. They don’t fail but as they wear they can aerate the oil a bit reducing oil pressure at high RPM’s when the oil is hot. Throw in a fast left hander and you start to have problems on top of the oil climbing the side of the block. If you have a baffled pan or a Accusump I would not bother.

Its on my list the next time the engine comes out or the pan comes down.

mahoneyj wrote:

[quote]If you have a real high mileage engine I would replace the pump. They don’t fail but as they wear they can aerate the oil a bit reducing oil pressure at high RPM’s when the oil is hot. Throw in a fast left hander and you start to have problems on top of the oil climbing the side of the block. If you have a baffled pan or a Accusump I would not bother.

Its on my list the next time the engine comes out or the pan comes down.[/quote]

Is a baffled pan legal?

a crank scrapper (legal) with flaps stops the oil from climbing the side of the block
bruce

Ranger wrote:

[quote]mahoneyj wrote:

[quote]If you have a real high mileage engine I would replace the pump. They don’t fail but as they wear they can aerate the oil a bit reducing oil pressure at high RPM’s when the oil is hot. Throw in a fast left hander and you start to have problems on top of the oil climbing the side of the block. If you have a baffled pan or a Accusump I would not bother.

Its on my list the next time the engine comes out or the pan comes down.[/quote]

Is a baffled pan legal?[/quote]
9.3.1.6.5. Oil pans, pan baffles, scrapers, windage trays, and oil pickups are unrestricted. So yes a baffled pan is legal.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]87isMan wrote:

You should meet his brother Frank.[/quote]

<>

I hope that one hurt you as much as it did us. :wink:

Steve D.