Oil Pan protector

Why did the “powers to be” limit the oil pan guard thickness to 1/16" maximum?

I doubt there was much thought given to the exact dimension.Likely someone showed up with an idea that cuold save everyone some grief. The part works.Got any parts ideas?

Purchase some diamond plate and cut your own, or purchase it pre-cut from supporting vendors.

Do you really want thicker and more weight to the front of your car? Do the rules guys have to justify everything? (Wow, I’m defending the rules guys.)

Regards, Robert Patton

I think that was to keep people from putting unneccesarily thick protectors to serve as ballast, which would lower the car’s center of gravity.

You could have a stronger plate, but given where it attaches I don’t know that you would really gain anything. A hit big enough to damage the 1/16th plate would just tear the rad support out if the plate were thicker (amateur engineering opinion).

Judging from Travis’ mangled protector (and intact oil pan) at the December race, the piece functions well.

It’s not designed for heavy duty off-roading, but will help you slide over some dirt and curbing that otherwise would cost you an oil pan.

Steve D.

PS - Now… I do think the rule should be clarified to permit 1/16th tread plate, which is thicker than 1/16th at the treads. And the plate is no longer “flat” when installed, so that part of the rule probably needs some work.

I’ll say this. After spending the entire day dropping the subframe to get to the oil pan so that the damaged pan could be replaced; I sure wish I had one on the car to begin with.