Oil Pan Prices

Ok, am actively contacting manufacturers concerning having my pan duplicated. What would racers expect to pay for a custom 8 quart pan? Chuck (the other Chuck)

cwbaader wrote:

Chuck, why don’t you post some detailed drawings of your mods with copious explanations as to what each mod does? That will help folks understand the value of your pan. Talk it up and convince folks of it’s merit.

This is a sketch showing the general layout of my pan. I have asked for quotes in both steel and aluminum. Hidden lines in the center of the front view are baffles. Clearance around the oil pump is very limited with intent to keep as much oil under the shelf as possible. Each “wing” holds about an extra quart. The 1/2NPT fitting on the driver’s side is for an oil temp gauge. Chuck [file name=File0099.jpg size=0]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/File0099.jpg[/file]

Trying to post drawing again…CB [file name=File0099.jpg size=0]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/File0099.jpg[/file]

Perhaps this time. CB

Once more…CB

Well, I don’t seem to be able to post the picture. Someone want to post it? Send me an email address. Chuck

Chuck,

Here you go.

Something like this? I had to guess at a lot of dimensions. I’m also having a hard time picturing the internal baffles, so they’re currently not included.

Matt

I put out a few feelers out last night, but due to the holidays, not sure when I will get a response.

Here is some pics I found of an M3 baffle http://www.brazeauracing.com/oilpan.htm

All in all it seems the parts would be expensive due to low production numbers. I am guessing if I ordered 100, I would keep them in stock for a long time.

What about just baffling the existing oil pan like the pics in the link above?

Yes, kinda sorta maybe…The plate with the round hole is a shelf to keep the oil from going front/back/sides under racing conditions. The vertical hidden lines are to prevent all the oil in the wings to leave at one time and to direct the oil to the pump. Clearance from the bottom is a little less than an inch.

The M3 pan linked is doing the same thing except the top plate does not seal against the sides of the pan which will allow escapage (just coined a word:laugh: ) during maneuvers.

I have submitted the sketch to Canton, Moroso, and Carr for quotes indicating an initial order of 10 pans. We can do a group buy if there is interest and the price would be adjusted accordingly. Chuck

Is the extra oil capacity just for good measure? Also will the wings on the pan make any routine maintenance harder like getting to the oil filter. I don’t think it wold get in the way of anything but I am having trouble imagining how it will look under the car attached.

I do think a good baffled oil pan would help this issue a lot. I would be interested in a pan like this if its not $800. Most of my track experience is with cars that came with dry sumps or factory baffling.

The extra oil capacity is there for safety reasons. Envision this…as the car enters a corner, all the oil tries to go to the outside of the pan. The shelf prevents it from going up, and the wings prevent the oil in one side from going to the other. In other words, both sides have oil. When force is applied the oil on the inside must go to the pickup area…not up the other side of the motor or into the other wing.

There are no clearance problems except maybe the air conditioning compressor. Since I (we) don’t have one, should be no problem. Chuck

cwbaader wrote:

Chuck -

Thanks for the sketches - and thanks to Matt for the CAD work.

How long does it take the oil to empty from the unloaded wing? I guess it doesn’t matter that the oil can flow out of one wing as fast as it can enter the other wing. This accomplishes having a 1" deep layer of oil running past the pickup under loading, right?

What is the height of the stock pan compared to your 7.9-10.2" height?

Steve D.

That is my theory, anyway. Pan is stock height because you can’t easily modify the oil pickup, and the pan is already somewhat vulnerable to damage. Chuck

I took what Chuck and Matt did and put it in google Sketch up. I am not 100% on all the dimensions.

Here is a 3D overview of what I came up with. I need to get my hands on a Spare pan so I can take real dimensions of the back park of the pan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY8HrjGtsEE