Oil pan gaskets

There’s 2 kinds, cork and paper. I’ve not used the paper type yet, but some really experienced guys say that it’s far better. The paper gasket is much thicker than the cork gasket. You can find it at RMEuropean.

If you are putting on an I-J scraper, IMO the common solution is to put some gasket goobage between scraper and block, then a gasket between pan and scraper.

There are a few of ways to install a crank scraper. You can use a gasket on both sides of the scraper. RTV on one side and a gasket on the other. Or RTV on both sides of the gasket. If you RTV on both sides use the gray hard type between the scrapper and block and the soft blue type between the pan and the scraper.

I think the paper oil pan gaskets are superior to the cork variety. The cork gaskets seem to continue to compress with time and cause leaks. The best gasket seems to be the BMW part.

What Jim said on glueage…you don’t have to use a gasket with the scraper. I prefer not to as gaskets move the bottom of the pan away form the oil pickup. CB

cwbaader wrote:

Ah so. That’s clever.

Definately agree with the peper gasket over the cork ones…they are more stubborn to remove when you are changing them but worth it! I need to look into a scraper and a better oil pressure gauge set up!