Oil Pan Alternatives

I thought it might be useful to summarize some oil pan info

The Poore Pan, $550 + core. Paul has a machine shop cut off the bottom of the oil pan, put a large extension on the passenger side, and put in internal baffles. Adds another quart of so to oil capacity.

Advantages. The data shows that it works. Paul says it works without a scraper, but IMO the scraper is smart to include. It has a bung welded in for a temp sensor.

Disadvantages. Expensive. Larger footprint increases risk of oil pan getting whacked by something. If Paul is busy it may take a couple weeks to get the pan.

The Metric Mechanic baffle, $350 + core. MM fabs some aluminum pieces that include a hinged door and welds it into the stock oil pan.

Advantages. In combination with their (pricey) cranscraper, they have a long track record of success with it. IMO the Factory3’s I-J crankscraper is probably as good as the MM scraper, even if the design is quite different. Cost less then the Poore Pan. You can get it in a hurry if you need to. Does not have the large footprint of the Poore pan. No sensor bung, but if you send them one they could put it on for you.

The TC Motorsports baffle, $89. An aluminum plate that you fasten into your oil pan.

Advantages. I’ve seen the data from the Pro3 guys that shows that the combo of the baffle and the Ireland scraper works. IMO tho, I’d use the I-J scraper because it has little doors to control oil flow direction. Inexpensive. Doesn’t increase footprint of pan.

Disadvantages. None come to mind.

www.MetricMechanic.com
http://www.tcmotorsports-store.net/m20-oil-pan-baff20.html

You missed one:

The “BMW” pan, $0 + core. Due to the manufacturer’s buying power, they include this pan for free with every M20 engine.

Advantages: They are so ubiquitous, you probably already own one. Proven robust enough to withstand some curb and off-track impacts, but not all. Go green! Many are available at a “recycler” near you. Proven reliable by 98.9% of your competitors on the track. The oil pan of choice for thousands of kids whose trousers hang low enough to show butt crack.

Disadvantages: Nothing to re-engineer.

Vac also makes a baffle for 199 that welds in around the pump pickup and IE sells a steel scraper for 48$ I just installed the IE scraper. Otherwise I don’t have much imput on either except that the IE scraper is cheap.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m20-oil-pan-baffle-p2269.aspx

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=653454005&Count2=570594429

in ranger’s defense he did say “alternatives” which implicitly means alternative to the “BMW” pan. I have a Paul Poore pan and very happy with it. Scraper is overkill with that pan imo but YMMV. Paul makes these to order so expect it to take a few weeks.

Actually, if he had used the term “alternative oil pans” you are right. The phrase “oil pan alternatives” implies “these are your alternatives”. I am sure IndyJim is happy this has devolved into an English debate rather than an engineering debate. :smiley:

good point although it depends on whether he used it as a noun or an adjective.

Ranger failed to make another draw back of the Paul Poore oil pan. If you are installing it while the motor is still in the car then it is a PAIN IN THE @SS!!! I love the pan and I will be trying to come up with an idea for a skid plate to protect the additional footprint. I am glad Ranger finally got his pan but his original pp pan looks really good on my car. :laugh:

Factory 3 skid plate fits with the Poore pan, just have to move the bend point about 1.25" farther forward. Mount the back part and then mark where the front of the Poore pan is and bend just ahead of there.

Any baffled pan is going to be a royal pain with the crossmember still in. Good time to take it out and weld in reinforcements on the sway tabs and motor mounts.

jlucas wrote:

[quote]
Any baffled pan is going to be a royal pain with the crossmember still in. Good time to take it out and weld in reinforcements on the sway tabs and motor mounts.[/quote]

+10. of course i was swapping motors anyways so this was more convenient to do.