Oil leak at back of engine

I have a leak at the back of my engine and thought that it might be the valve cover gasket and/or black plugs. I replaced the gasket and plugs, using a little rtv on the plugs, but am still leaking. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

If you haven’t changed the oilpan gasket that would be my first guess. On my street car the pan gasket completely fell apart and it leaked like crazy when parked with the nose uphill.

Matt

Rear main seal is usual culprit

Keep the area clean enough that you can detect where the oil track starts.

Those black tabs can be tricky. They can shrink such that aren’t held down enough, or they can swell such that they press up on the rocker arm cover. Look at them very closely and make a call on how well they are sealing.

My vote would be oil pan gasket. That was where mine was leaking from along with the O-ring that seals the oil filter adapter for the oil cooler to the block.

[quote=“Ranger” post=59503]Keep the area clean enough that you can detect where the oil track starts.

Those black tabs can be tricky. They can shrink such that aren’t held down enough, or they can swell such that they press up on the rocker arm cover. Look at them very closely and make a call on how well they are sealing.[/quote]
I’ve never had a problem with the bungs, but then I replace them every time I change the gasket.

I cleaned the engine and now feel oil on the back of the engine, a little below the valve cover gasket and the black plugs, right around the round plug on the back of the head.