Oil Analysis

Here’s what one looks like. $22. [file name=D49584.pdf size=17832]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/D49584.pdf[/file]

Thanks for sharing. I am going to get mine tested soon just as a check up

That’s cool, thanks.

Way to keep your sodium down, that can lead to high blood pressure.

Scott,
I just ordered the kit. It will be interesting to compare results. I see you had 48 hours on that oil sample. Was this sample from an oil change or did you just draw enough for the test? I’m guessing change. At first I thought that doesn’t seem like many hours. Then I started thinking about our change frequency. When Robert and I share the car for a 2 day HPDE weekend I figure we put on about 8 hours per weekend. We’re changing after 4 weekends or 8 track days. About the same as you within a day or so.

How long is everyone else running their oil?
What about gear box and diff. I’m thinking once in the off season for them.

Thanks.

SGrace wrote:

[quote]Scott,
I just ordered the kit. It will be interesting to compare results. I see you had 48 hours on that oil sample. Was this sample from an oil change or did you just draw enough for the test? I’m guessing change. At first I thought that doesn’t seem like many hours. Then I started thinking about our change frequency. When Robert and I share the car for a 2 day HPDE weekend I figure we put on about 8 hours per weekend. We’re changing after 4 weekends or 8 track days. About the same as you within a day or so.

How long is everyone else running their oil?
What about gear box and diff. I’m thinking once in the off season for them.

Thanks.[/quote]

I get 5-6 track days/month. Track time at different events varies a lot but I figure that 2-3hrs/day is a reasonable average. In that environment I change the filter and add a quart of oil each month. My intent had been to change the oil 2X per season, but the new bottom end will add a 3rd change.

My numbers add up to fewer oil changes then you relative to track hours. But I figured that since I was adding a quart a month that equaled 2 additional oil changes/year. Not to mention 10-12 oil filters per year. But I kinda pulled that out of my butt. I don’t know for a fact that burning/adding oil and frequent filter changes really is the equivelent of an oil change.

The analysis sample was not from an oil change. I used a vampire to suck oil out of the dipstick tube.

I kinda worry about my transmission and diff oil because I’ve never checked it. I’ve had my shop check it a couple times, but I’d feel better if I was checking them myself. Eventually guilt will overcome laziness and I’ll pull out the manual and figure out how to do it.

I started doing this with my e46 M3, then figured I was going to sell it so I didn’t really care.

Anyway - apples to oranges…

Never mind this stupid forum software won’t let me attach and I’m too lazy to edit the image or fix it so that it will work.

[rant] Its hard to complain about free stuff, but did this site have to use the absolutely worst free forum software that money doesn’t have to buy? [/rant]

[quote=Ranger]I kinda worry about my transmission and diff oil because I’ve never checked it. I’ve had my shop check it a couple times, but I’d feel better if I was checking them myself. Eventually guilt will overcome laziness and I’ll pull out the manual and figure out how to do it.[/quote]Checking the levels is pretty simple. Get the car up in the air and level. Remove the fill plug (side of transmission, rear of the differential). If a thin stream of fluid runs out the level is correct.

I’d have thought it obvious, but I’ve seen enough people get it wrong to make me think it must not be. If you are going to change the fluid, take the fill plug out first. You’ll feel a bit stupid if you find that you can’t put any fluid back in…

IndyJim wrote:

[quote]I started doing this with my e46 M3, then figured I was going to sell it so I didn’t really care.

Anyway - apples to oranges…

Never mind this stupid forum software won’t let me attach and I’m too lazy to edit the image or fix it so that it will work.

[rant] Its hard to complain about free stuff, but did this site have to use the absolutely worst free forum software that money doesn’t have to buy? [/rant][/quote]

download to photobucket then copy the IMG code. Paste it into your post voila!!