Non-Glycol anti-freeze/coolant

Is there any non-glycol coolant alternative to water? It won’t be for much longer, but the car is still living. at the moment, in DC, where it’s getting below freezing at night.

Flushing the coolant for pure water seems like a bad idea, but the coupe has to be race legal for the comp school next weekend. Any suggestions? Does water wetter prevent freezing?

sharkd wrote:

[quote]Is there any non-glycol coolant alternative to water? It won’t be for much longer, but the car is still living. at the moment, in DC, where it’s getting below freezing at night.

Flushing the coolant for pure water seems like a bad idea, but the coupe has to be race legal for the comp school next weekend. Any suggestions? Does water wetter prevent freezing?[/quote]

The preferred racing mix is water with water wetter. I don’t know about other wetter products, but the Redline stuff contains corrosion inhibitors that are equal to or better than what you’d find in conventional anti-freeze.

I’m not worried about corrosion, as much about the water in my cooling system freezing over the next 5-6 of nights of sub-freezing temps (and barely above freezing days).

Dan,
Watter-wetter does not protect against freezing at all. It freezes at 32 degrees, just like water.

Leave coolant in your car for VIR. Last year, NASA lifted the rule on coolant in the system because it was freezing in the mornings. I expect they’ll do the same this year.

I run a 20-30% mix of coolant for this race, then switch to water around mid-March.

-Vic
SO #325

Thanks, Vic.

BTW, would the newer Proplyene Glycol work, or is it just better to run Wetter & Water?

Post edited by: sharkd, at: 2006/02/09 14:40

When the weather permits, I’ll go back to distilled water and Wetter. Wetter isn’t anything special, it’s just a surfactant that breaks the surface tension of water and allows better heat transfer, they say. If you place a drop of water on a table, it will look more like a blob. Add some surfactant and it’ll flatten out.

Water and Wetter worked fine for me last year, even in the hottest months in the South.

Carter

Chris says it will be ok to run coolant due to potential low temps

Thanks Sean.

Carter