Newbie to Spec E30 in so florida. Need guidance.

Howdy to all. I’m currently racing SCCA in ITA class. Fed up with the cheating and favoring ad nausium. The idea of racing in Spec Pinata kills me so thats out and besides, I am a huge BMW fan (amongst others had a grey market e30 323i). On the other hand, I definetely would like to be in a competitive class and im wondering how spec e30 is shaping up in Florida. I most likely would buy a complete car (serious time constaints) and wonder about reliablity etc of racing an E30’s. Also wonder how well controlled the rules are - as I say its absolutely rampant in ITA. Help please!

Welcome!
B)
SpecE30 is definitely getting rolling in Florida now… my husband John and I will be racing our (shared) car at the next NASA FL event at Sebring and we might even have some company! (We’re pretty sure that it will be the first SpecE30 race run in FL).
At this point I know of three cars that are finished and ready to race (ours, Don Stevens, Sir Gary), and if you read back in some of the other threads here you’ll find that there are a number of others in the works.
So far our car has been a hell of a lot of fun and really reliable (now looking for wood to knock on!) Build it right and keep up with basic/preventative maintenance and you should be in good shape. Of course… sh*t happens occasionally - but you’ll have that with any car.
With a little hunting through the forum… you can pretty much find the answer to any question you might have. Most known issues with the cars are well documented and everyone is glad to help out the new folks- be it advice about lessons learned the hard way or spare parts.
As far as “the rules” go… we built ours to the letter of the law. From the couple of events that we’ve run with NASA FL so far, I get the general impression that this region is bit more “by the book” than some of the other regions. I haven’t run with the SE or MA yet, but that’s the impression that I get - so take it for what it’s worth. :slight_smile:
All the other regions started up with just a handful of enthusiastic drivers and caught on from there. Hopefully you’ll stick around and join us!

for a peek at our car visit:http://web.mac.com/natblack/Black_Site/The_Race_Car.html

Rumor has it that one of the BeerTech cars may be stationed in FL next season, stay tuned.

155MPH wrote:

There goes the neighborhood!!!
:laugh:

BeerTech in Florida…Boys and girls in Florida, beware. Mueller is fast and will be legal. Kinda like getting beat by Skeen in the Southeast, the driver has talent and we don’t consider that the car as the reason for the fast-nature of Skeen’s lap times.Run with Mueller and you can run with the best.

Andy, to address your questions about car build and rules bending, it is a good group of racers and the self-police thing is working well in the Southeast. As one that has been cheerleading for Spec E30 for the past 4 years (from 1 car on track to 28 on track last month at Roebling Road) I’d welcome the chance to answer your questions and see the Florida group grow.

Regards, Robert Patton NASA SE 800-755-1715

Patton wrote:

[quote]BeerTech in Florida…Boys and girls in Florida, beware. Mueller is fast and will be legal. Kinda like getting beat by Skeen in the Southeast, the driver has talent and we don’t consider that the car as the reason for the fast-nature of Skeen’s lap times.Run with Mueller and you can run with the best.

[/quote]

Guess again…its not Randy…

Brian, drop the suspense…who will be joining the Florida racers? With Beertech on the side panels there is sure to be some fun and camaraderie in the paddock.

Regards, Robert Patton

Jones wrote:

Wine spritzer sales plummeting so they’re sending the expert in wine coolers and other party drinks Brian Jones?

TheRedBaron wrote:

[quote]Jones wrote:

Wine spritzer sales plummeting so they’re sending the expert in wine coolers and other party drinks Brian Jones?[/quote]

Cool - Is Brian Moving down here? If so, what city?

The Black’s, Sir Gary, and I live in the Tampa Bay area.

Don

Well, this is very far from official, still some interviews and whatnot to deal with, Ill be in ATL Monday to interview for a possible position in Orlando.

Ill keep you updated. I know nothing about Florida so If this does happen, I would really appreciate some advice, info etc.

This is with the same company, just a new opportunity. Besides, why not take BeerTech to multiple regions? Everyone loves to beat up on BeerTech! :slight_smile:

Jones wrote:

[quote]Well, this is very far from official, still some interviews and whatnot to deal with, Ill be in ATL Monday to interview for a possible position in Orlando.

Ill keep you updated. I know nothing about Florida so If this does happen, I would really appreciate some advice, info etc.

This is with the same company, just a new opportunity. Besides, why not take BeerTech to multiple regions? Everyone loves to beat up on BeerTech! :)[/quote]

Orlando huh? We’ll keep our fingers crossed for ya… we’ve been loving the whole living in Florida thing!
Like Don said, we’re all in the Tampa area and Sir Gary is in Sarasota (the other side of the big bridge =) He’s closer to Sebring and Homestead, but we’re closer to Roebling :slight_smile:
The “new opportunity” thing sounds familiar too… both John and I work for the same companies we did when we lived in Ohio.
Good Luck!
And is that beat up or beat by BeerTech? :silly:

Jones wrote:

[quote]Patton wrote:

[quote]BeerTech in Florida…Boys and girls in Florida, beware. Mueller is fast and will be legal. Kinda like getting beat by Skeen in the Southeast, the driver has talent and we don’t consider that the car as the reason for the fast-nature of Skeen’s lap times.Run with Mueller and you can run with the best.

[/quote]

Guess again…its not Randy…[/quote]

That’s okay, I’ve already seen Randy apply the smack down on the NASA FL race group… he was in for the Sunday races down at Homestead in April. I actually shared a garage area with him… drew quite a crowd. Of course with so many people around, I never saw an opportunity to run over and introduce myself. Next time I guess… B)

Brian, good luck.

If BeerTech moves to Florida you guys and gal will have a great represenatie of the sport to draw experience from. PS, Brian’s fast too, so you’ll have someone to push you to be a faster racer.

Regards, Robert Patton

natalie: thanks for the in. so it appears my next task is to find a car. anybody have suggestions? I would prefer something already built and reasonably sorted as my time is limited. I am down in miami so once i get a car, ill see you guys often at sebring and homestead.

Hang out on the board - there are cars from time to time that come up. We bought ours on e-bay for $1000.00 - actually $900, plus the grill and headlights from the same guy for another $100.

I want everyone who races near us to remeber that - it is a 1G car - so I have nothing to loose (just kidding - I have 10 million in that car by now - or so it seems).

Seriously - to build - look on e-bay - to buy fully (or mostly) done - here.

Mine will be for sale in Dec. Maybe even sooner…

Patton wrote:

[quote]Brian, good luck.

If BeerTech moves to Florida you guys and gal will have a great represenatie of the sport to draw experience from. PS, Brian’s fast too, so you’ll have someone to push you to be a faster racer.

Regards, Robert Patton[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Robert. All went well today in ATL so Ill see what happens next… Ill keep you posted.

mougl1 wrote:

Already built/sorted-out, and raced to a second and third place finish.

Everything is new. The car is immaculate (you can eat off of the underside). It was my winter 2006/7 project.

To build from scratch, your labor=$10,000
To have built by a shop=$18-20,000
To have built by hobbist=$15,000
To purchase used=$8500-12,000

Let me know if you have an interest or if I can answer any questiions about spec e30.

Robert Patton NASA SE 800-755-1715

robert - any link with pics and details etc? or perhaps you can e-mail me.

155MPH wrote:

JP,

Don’t sell it. Store it. Find some way to keep it.

I have owned two other race cars in the past and I have regretted selling both of them. It took me 13 years from the last time I turned a wheel in a race until I got back into it this spring. I went crazy for those 13 years and satisfied my racing bug by instructing in DEs. Having it to do over again, I would not have sold the race car.

I know that you will be pre-occupied and will need the money soon but keep the car. You may only be able to get to one or two HPDEs per year but that is better than cold turkey. Also keep in mind, it’ll cost you double to build another one by the time you get back in it.

Don