New Toyo spec tire

Spec E30 drivers, fans, and officials,

At the Wednesday evening drivers meeting at the National Championship races at Mid Ohio, NASA National announced that Spec E30 is one of three classes that will use a new spec tire.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-rr-DOT-competition-tires

I was not involved in this decision, and had no knowledge of it until it was announced at the meeting.

Below are a few points, from my discussion immediately after the announcement was made, with Jeremy Croiset, the NASA National Official who made the announcement.

1. The Proxes RR is built to 4/32" tread.

2. Shaving is not required.

3. The tire will be ready, “Right out of the box.” and will not require a heat cycle.

4. The cost will be higher per tire, but with the elimination of the shaving cost, Jeremy said it will be only slightly higher, net cost.

5. Jeremy said the tire was tested at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in California. I will test a set at VIR in October.

6. Jeremy said this tire will be faster than the RA-1 - I responded that ultimate laptimes are not important in Spec E30, and that consistency and durablility are what we need.

7. The RA-1 will still be available for rain use.

In other discussions with NASA officials, I was told that the RR sidewalls are stiffer, which requires less negative camber.

While this announcement was a surprise to me, I do believe that NASA has our drivers’ interests at the top of their priority list.

I will report my testing results to the Spec E30 community, after the October VIR weekend.

Carter Hunt
Spec E30 Co-founder and National Series Director

All,

I wrote an explanation about this announcement but it didn’t appear here. I will immediately write it again and post it.

Carter

[quote=“Carter” post=68295]Spec E30 drivers, fans, and officials,

At the Wednesday evening drivers meeting at the National Championship races at Mid Ohio, NASA National announced that Spec E30 is one of three classes that will use a new spec tire.

I was not involved in this decision, and had no knowledge of it until it was announced at the meeting.

Below are a few points, from my discussion immediately after the announcement was made, with Jeremy Croiset, the NASA National Official who made the announcement.

1. The Proxes RR is built to 4/32" tread.

2. Shaving is not required.

3. The tire will be ready, “Right out of the box.” and will not require a heat cycle.

4. The cost will be higher per tire, but with the elimination of the shaving cost, Jeremy said it will be only slightly higher, net cost.

5. Jeremy said the tire was tested at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in California. I will test a set at VIR in October.

6. Jeremy said this tire will be faster than the RA-1 - I responded that ultimate laptimes are not important in Spec E30, and that consistency and durablility are what we need.

7. The RA-1 will still be available for rain use.

In other discussions with NASA officials, I was told that the RR sidewalls are stiffer, which requires less negative camber.

While this announcement was a surprise to me, I do believe that NASA has our drivers’ interests at the top of their priority list.

I will report my testing results to the Spec E30 community, after the October VIR weekend.

Carter Hunt
Spec E30 Co-founder and National Series Director[/quote]

http: //toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-rr-DOT-competition-tires

This is the link missing from above. To make it work, remove the space after http

Thanks Ranger.

Carter