New to Spec E30

Hello. I thought I’d introduce myself and get to know those in the Spec E30 community. I’m looking to get started and hope to get some advice from all of you. I’ve been browsing these forums recently but now it’s time to stop lurking and get involved.

A little about myself: I’ve gone through the Skip Barber schools and have done some limited racing in their regional series. My times behind the wheel have been too few and too far between. To remedy that, I thought I would start looking for a decent track car and take part in some HPDEs in northern CA (Infineon, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill) as well as the open track days at my local track (Reno-Fernley). As I’ve researched, it seems that Spec E30 is a good option as in addition to track days, I have the option to race as the need for competition arises.

From what I can tell, buying a race-ready car is the way to go. At 6’5" I’ve already learned that a coupe is my best bet due to the larger door openings. Once I get rid of one too many vehicles in the garage (an '88 Fiero Mera) I’ll actively search for an E30.

I appreciate any advice you guys have to offer, especially what to look for in a used race car. Hopefully we’ll meet at the track soon and I’m looking forward to joining the Spec E30 community.

Shouldn’t have any problems finding a solid used SpecE30 car as I have seen many come up for sale over the past year. Originally I thought it would be cheaper to build the car myself, but after totaling everything up this past week, it definitely would have been cheaper to buy one. The disadvantage would be fixing the things you hate about the car you end up buying.

The aquired knowledge is priceless though :slight_smile:
I am halfway through my build and now fully appreciate the old adage of "Buy your first race car and build your second one"
Stay tuned folks! B)

Do what I did. Buy a “done” car that looked great on paper and inspections. Race it and then decide you don’t like a lot of stuff and tear 80% of it down and rebuild it. Best of both worlds :slight_smile:

:lol: That is a very real possibility! I’m sure you’re not the only one who has done that. Hopefully I can avoid such a scenario and get it right the first time. I guess that’s what this forum is for.

I am also tall (6’6"). I found that the full containment Kirkey seat was the best fit. It comes in different widths and the shoulder and head restraints are adjustable.

Take your time and buy a prepped car that you agree with so you don’t have to change everything. Ask me how I know:(

I’ve learned the buy a done car twice now. I don’t know where all the money goes when building a car it just disappears.

So once I do manage to get a (race-ready) car, what is the maintenance like? That is, typically how often do you need to replace brake pads, tires, etc.? Asusming nothing has gone wrong, what do you do in between sessions at a track and what do you do in between races?

I want to get a feel for what’s involved. Thanks for the comments!

Hey MLC (I don’t see your name),

It looks like you’re going to be racing in NorCal. I maintain an email list for all the NorCal SE30 racers. Shoot me an email at scott.neville@norcalspece30.com and I’ll add you to the group.

Mike Lock in Sacramento just listed his newly built SE30 car for sale. It’s posted in NASA Forums Classifieds:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42490

Maintenance: BMW E30s are pretty bullet proof really. Brakes, depends on the compound you’re using but running just a regular season (8 weekends) using Hawk Blues as an example, you’re looking at replacing the front pads/rotor twice a season and the rears maybe once.

Tires: Toyo RA-1s Maybe three to four weekends out of a set of shaved tires.

Most of the SE30 racers between sessions watch the Spec Miata racers work on their cars :wink:

Cheers,
Scott

Welcome ro SpecE30. The cars are a lot of fun and the people are great.

Lot’s of good advice here too. Buy a completed car and customize to your taste. I built mine as I had a great street car to start with. It is definitely cheaper to buy a complete car though.

Don

[quote=“MLC” post=56700]So once I do manage to get a (race-ready) car, what is the maintenance like? That is, typically how often do you need to replace brake pads, tires, etc.? Asusming nothing has gone wrong, what do you do in between sessions at a track and what do you do in between races?

I want to get a feel for what’s involved. Thanks for the comments![/quote]
This can be done reasonably affordably but you have to learn to do your own wrenching. Big expenses:
Buying and maintaining a trailer and tow vehicle. $1500 will get you a small used trailer.

Tires & brake pads. 3-4 events on a set of tires. Maybe 3 events on front pads and twice that on rear.

Fixing the car, both labor and parts. This will positively kill you unless you learn to do it yourself like most of us have.

Bringing us beer so we’ll hang out with you.

http://www.spece30.com/forum/50-paddock-spares-and-towing/56644-thread-on-maintenance-parts-replacement-cycle

Great link, Ranger. Thanks!

Bring you beer? What?! A group of guys that like racing, hanging out and drinking beer… I hope I can fit in. B)