New injectors or clean/blueprint old ones?

I have no idea what the history of my injectors is. PO might have replaced them when he built the car, or maybe they are original. So best case, they have >300 track days on them. Worst case they have 22yrs on them.

Should I buy new ones or get my 160k mi. spare injectors cleaned and blueprinted? Maybe old injectors that are cleaned and flow checked are good as new. Or maybe they have a definate life span and even after cleaning and flow checking they are going to start doing poorly soon.

How say you?

If cleaned and flow checked your used injectors should be fine.

Get em cleaned and flow tested. I use these guys, very reasonably priced.

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

jlevie wrote:

I had my injectors cleaned and flow tested. They’ll do for now but I’ll probably end up replacing them w/new after my first season. I’ll have to look the actual figures up, but I recall that they’re kinda marginal. That makes me think maybe injectors have a finite life? Bare in mind my injectors came with a salvage motor of unknown background.

Well now I’m pissed/confused.

The factory manual calls for static flow of 170 cm^3/min @ 3.0 +/- .05 bar.

After cleaning, my spray pattern went from bad to fair. :frowning:

My post cleaning flow rates range from 39 - 42…in what units?? (none specified) Nor is any test pressure referenced.

I kinda assumed if they were bad, they would of let me know and probably tried to sell me some new ones, but maybe not.

The closest units I can get to match near my measurements are gal/day. (170 cm^3/min = 64.67 gal/day) I can’t say I’ve seen injector units in gal/day. Guess I’ll be making a call tomorrow for further clarification.

rrroadster wrote:

[quote]Well now I’m pissed/confused.

The factory manual calls for static flow of 170 cm^3/min @ 3.0 +/- .05 bar.

After cleaning, my spray pattern went from bad to fair. :frowning:

My post cleaning flow rates range from 39 - 42…in what units?? (none specified) Nor is any test pressure referenced.

I kinda assumed if they were bad, they would of let me know and probably tried to sell me some new ones, but maybe not.

The closest units I can get to match near my measurements are gal/day. (170 cm^3/min = 64.67 gal/day) I can’t say I’ve seen injector units in gal/day. Guess I’ll be making a call tomorrow for further clarification.[/quote]

Who did you send them too?

I sent the injectors from the donor car to the outfit Simon suggested above. The guy called me and said that initial testing showed that 1 of 6 was bad, and asked me if I wanted to buy another one. The price he stated was fair. I said “no” because I had a new spare. A week later I rec’d the clean and tested injectors back with a report that indicated that they were all “good” for flow rate and pattern. If there were specific units mentioned, I don’t recall them.

All this started because I was curious as to the health of the race car’s injectors. I was able to figure out that the PO replaced the injectors so they have <150 track days on them. I did an assload of track days last year.

The Cruzin guy said that my 3yr old injectors were probably fine and that he wouldn’t bother sending them in for cleaning/testing.

I sent them to Advanced Fuel Injection in Advance, NC - 1 day away ground via FedEx. http://www.advancedfuelinjection.net/

I called them today and they said the test pressure was 43.5 PSI (3 Bar). He sounded surprised there weren’t any units written down, but indicated they should be CC’s. He’s away from his office today, but will get back to me after looking at his copy of the cleaning/test report. I pleaded ignorance so he’s supposed to explain everything tomorrow.

I’m glad this subject came up. If these injectors are as bad as I’m starting to think, I doubt if I would ever be able to get the engine running. Sumpin’ tells me I’m about to spring for a new set of injectors.

If yours turn out to be hosed up I’ll sell you the ones I just got blueprinted.

Hah! I am the luckiest boy in the world! (not really)

The guy calls me up and says he didn’t clean/test the injectors. He went on to say that whoever did it (???) performed a static flow test and that there was no way he could convert units.

So, I get to pull them out of the engine, ship them off and have them redone. At least I should get a really good job done this time since he’s got egg on his face.

Wow! For the hassle that is going to cause you he should just send you new injectors. That’s one guy that won’t be getting more SpecE30 business.