New here...

Hey guys I’ve been lurking around the forums for a bit because I’ve always been interested in spec e30 but i had a perfectly good m42 and was just getting started with racing so i figured I would use up what I had first. A couple weeks ago something happened on the track and starved my engine of fuel, now there’s a knocking sound and I’m pretty sure I’m looking at rebuilding. Soooooo… now I’m thinking ill go with a m20b25 swap and start (slowly) moving in the spec e30 direction.

I have some good parts already… LSD, bilstein sports, ie3s, braided lines but I know I have a long journey to get her up to spec. I could probably swap the engine myself but I’m nervous about all of the things I need to change: harness, dme, etc.

I’d probably change the engine out now and then gather the remaining parts over the next year or so (seats, harness, cage, etc) as I get used to the extra horsepower!

Anyways I’m open to any advice any of you might have. I really don’t want to do anything that will then have to be changed later to get up to spec. Also if you know of any speed bumps I might encounter along the way it would be awesome to know ahead of time.

Project car is a 1991 318i that’s in great shape!

Thanks and I’m excited to get started with this awesome series!

Welcome to SpecE30. Tell us where you live and we’ll see if we can’t find a guy in your area that needs some mentor time to help his own self-esteem.

I don’t know that much about M42 swaps, but some of guys here will, and there’s a wealth of info at e30tech.com.

It’s hard to give you a lot of guidance on how to gradually turn your car into a SpecE30. Read the rules over and over again. Stay focused on the idea that if your idea isn’t in the rules, it’s not allowed. And do a lot of reading in the technical subforums here when your interested in specific areas.

Awesome I’d love to get to know some local folk! I’m in Houston. I also like to get my hands dirty working on cars so if anyone needs a hand I’m all for the learning experience.

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of the spec e30 community. Now I’ll get started with the rules…

Erick

TX doesn’t have a lot of SpecE30 types I think that E3 guys there are also participating in SCCA and BMW Club Racing events. But NASA is growing everywhere so the trend is in the right direction.

I sent an email to L8Apex, one of the TX guys, re. you.

Welcome. I agree with Ranger: There is tons of knowledge archived here and e30tech.

Also, I just wanted to mention that the LSD in your 318i (if it hasn’t been swapped) is a 4.10, and you need a 3.73 to race. In the meantime, enjoy the extra acceleration from the 4.10 with the M20.

Welcome to Spec E30!

You say your 318 is in great shape. Assuming that means it is a street car with a decent interior, my advice would be to put a junkyard 4 cylinder in it, put stock sways back on, sell it, and start fresh with a 325i with a ragged out interior.

If you really want a project, buy a wrecked or rusted out 325is and come to Georgia and pick up my free 1984 318 rolling chassis. You can transfer all the parts over from the 325, adding the spec parts as required.

If you need to keep driving the 318, buy the spec parts as you can. Just don’t install them on the car. Keep them in a pile in the garage and wait until you have a 325i to start bolting on.

It will be less satisfying now and less frustrating later.

Welcome to the site. I got started on the site a couple years ago when I saw a 325is for sale in Florida on this forum. Now I am almost finished with my build. Feel free to ask me any quesitons. Hopefully you can make it to some of the Mid South events where you can meet myself or Jim “Yoda” Levie. Houston isn’t too far from me on good ole I-10.

AWESOME thanks y’all. King Tut I might have to take a trip along I-10 and see what Texas is missing out on! I’m getting a new car soon I’ll be really excited to take some road trips with.

Steve I totally agree it is a shame to use a car that’s in great shape like my 318 is, but I hate to part with it, and it is going to be hard to get what I’ve put into it back out (springs, shocks, etc). But yeah as I’ll start collecting parts but won’t do anything until that engine is in and running.

Cheapthrills I did swap my diff, although I’m not sure what the ratio is. It was the same size unit as the previous, medium case I think? I’ll have to look at the ratio.

Ranger thanks for the referral!

I’m super excited this forum exists, it will be great to get advice from all of you and hopefully share some along my journey… Now I just need to get my hands on an engine/harness/tranny/ecu/driveshaft. I’ve posted on r3vlimited and I have a couple shops in the area looking for stuff. Maybe I’ll get lucky! In the mean time I’ll be hovering over the forums keeping up with what y’all are doing and hopefully make it out to some events.

Thanks again!

Erick

The fact that you love your 318 is a good reason not to race it. Race cars take a beating and one of the things that really makes a DD E30 nice is a nice interior. And that would be the first thing you rip out.