New guy to the racing world

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea of where I should begin my racing “career”. I think I will start with AutoX and see what happens. Where did you all start? I have an e30 and just ordered H&R Race and Bilsteins so they will be on the car soon. I have many more plans in the works so I hope to start racing soon. I’d love to do SpecE30 but don’t think I’ll start with it since I am still young and my experience isn’t much yet.

Just looking for some friendly advice from all you Pros!

I’ll post some pictures of the car once it gets the new suspension on.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I never did any autox but I think its a great way to start to learn car control on the cheap. I did a couple years of DE’s, then I instructed for a year, then went racing. I used to drive to the track in the race car my first couple of years. Then I had enough to buy a truck and open trailer. Been racing ever since.

Sounds like what I want to do. I think I will setup my car and do some autocross, just drive to the local track when they have them. Then hopefully move up from there

Auto X is the best way to start and keep cost in check. I started when I was still in college and did not have a trust fund. The hardest part of Auto X for me was finishing and no getting lost in the see of cones. But I got better with seat time.

I also did a few DEs per year as funds permitted. That hooked me on the track. Did DE’s for years and instructed for years all along trying no too race. I was very successful at not racing for a long time. Then kids came on the scene and DEs dried up for a year so I did an arrive and drive open wheel school and it had a few races at the end. That hooked me into racing.

At this point I had many friends racing all sorts of cars in all sorts of sanctioning bodies. So I shopped around for different race classes and was lucky enough to know what all my friends did. I settled on Spece30 and rented a ride from the Drive Gear guys at a few NASA MA races last year. It was all over form their. I pick my car up this Sat. I wont have time for many races but a few weekends a year will keep me sane and the blood flowing.

Drove my track car to the track for years, got a better job, got a truck and trailer, got a better car, tweaked it for a few years, repeat, repeat . . . You see where this goes. Learn to turn some wrenches and you will save a lot of money.

To give you perspective for duration of this addiction. I started my first DE in 92 and am still at it. Nice thing is life is long and you can take it at any speed you want.

Sounds like the road I will be traveling. I really just want to get the car setup and start participating. I’ll probably start with AutoX but I am going to check the local tracks and see what kind of events they have coming up. Can’t wait. Thanks for the comments guys

I started the same way you’re planning. One side benefit not mentioned yet is that AX gives you a chance to get the car safe and reliable before taking it to the track, where the relative cost of missing a session due to something breaking or overheating is much higher.

For a chuckle:
http://www.devtools.org/rus/mtimages/pyramid_of_speed/Pyramid_of_speed.htm

mahoneyj wrote:

I second Jmahoney’s comments…I did my first Auto-X in 1982 (in a 320i), first DE in 1986, first professional school in 1988, and first wheel to wheel race in 1989. I did a few races per year unitl babies came in 94. I dabbled until a year ago and now have the bug again real bad. The point is the racing game is a very addictive drug. If I was cute enough to sell my body like a crack whore, I probably would so I go racing every weekend. :laugh:

I’m gunna disagree. If your goal is to road race, then road race. Not that autocross isn’t racing, but it is very different from road racing, from car setup to driving skill sets. I see autocrossers turned road racers with a lot of habbits the make them fast AXers, but slow you down on the track. You can run HPDE while you build your car. All you need for your first event are brake pads and a healthy set of tires, not even racing tires. Seat time is most important, if it is safe and has 4 wheels then track it.

I imagine your goal is to have fun. If that’s the case, do whatever’s fun. Most folks that do AX and then start racing, don’t go back and do much AX. For most folks, racing makes AX seem kinda tame.

Thanks for the comments guys! Still trying to decide on what I’ll do but I need to quickly :slight_smile: