New engine hp cap rule

I disagree. Look at the SCCA Solo nationals. They have 1200 competitors every year (in Kansas), and it’s certainly not suffering. Not to mention your average autocrosser has a much smaller budget than your average road racer.

If you make nationals completely impractical for half of the country to attend, then it greatly diminishes the value of nationals, to the point where it’s not even enticing for the locals to go to. If you’re only racing against the same people you always race against… then what distinguishes nationals from yet-another-local event?

Another driver recently told me that I should ditch the idea of SE30 and race with the SCCA instead. He said that even if I won a National Championship, it wouldn’t mean anything. I don’t fully agree with that, but I do agree that the value of a National Championship is much less when you’re only racing against half the country.[/quote]
I don’t agree. There’s lots of reasons to race SpecE30. In several regions we have the best “community of buddies” in racing. It’s a comparatively economical way to have an absolute blast. Of the various reasons to race SpecE30, the details of the national championships are only barely relevant. A guy gets on the podium at Nats and gets a trophy. We all congratulate him and for some years he’s able to recall it fondly. You want serious respect from your SpecE30 peers? Instead of spending a fortune on hardware, towing and coaching to do well at Nats, just show up at an event with a rented super-model. We’ll all be talking about that long after we’ve forgotten you did well at Nationals, and you’d save many thousands of dollars.

If the details of the national championships are important in a person’s consideration of a race class, they might not be a good fit for SpecE30. If, on the other hand, they are highly charismatic and hilarious, their home is here.

[quote=“Ranger” post=73654]
I don’t agree. There’s lots of reasons to race SpecE30. In several regions we have the best “community of buddies” in racing. It’s a comparatively economical way to have an absolute blast. Of the various reasons to race SpecE30, the details of the national championships are only barely relevant. A guy gets on the podium at Nats and gets a trophy. We all congratulate him and for some years he’s able to recall it fondly. You want serious respect from your SpecE30 peers? Instead of spending a fortune on hardware, towing and coaching to do well at Nats, just show up at an event with a rented super-model. We’ll all be talking about that long after we’ve forgotten you did well at Nationals, and you’d save many thousands of dollars.

If the details of the national championships are important in a person’s consideration of a race class, they might not be a good fit for SpecE30. If, on the other hand, they are highly charismatic and hilarious, their home is here.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more. That’s alot of time, effort, money and anxiety just to “WIN” makes for an
insanely expensive $10 amateur racing trophy. I know its really about the $0.35 sticker!

I disagree. Look at the SCCA Solo nationals. They have 1200 competitors every year (in Kansas), and it’s certainly not suffering. Not to mention your average autocrosser has a much smaller budget than your average road racer.

If you make nationals completely impractical for half of the country to attend, then it greatly diminishes the value of nationals, to the point where it’s not even enticing for the locals to go to. If you’re only racing against the same people you always race against… then what distinguishes nationals from yet-another-local event?

Another driver recently told me that I should ditch the idea of SE30 and race with the SCCA instead. He said that even if I won a National Championship, it wouldn’t mean anything. I don’t fully agree with that, but I do agree that the value of a National Championship is much less when you’re only racing against half the country.[/quote]

If the details of the national championships are important in a person’s consideration of a race class, they might not be a good fit for SpecE30. If, on the other hand, they are highly charismatic and hilarious, their home is here.[/quote]

Like I said, I didn’t fully agree with his advice. I totally agree with you that there’s tons of great reasons to race SpecE30. That’s why I’m doing it :). The point of my discussion is that the location of nationals is a deterrent for some people to run with NASA. It’s a big bummer for me as well, but for now… the benefits trump the downsides.

"I don’t agree. There’s lots of reasons to race SpecE30. In several regions we have the best “community of buddies” in racing. It’s a comparatively economical way to have an absolute blast. Of the various reasons to race SpecE30, the details of the national championships are only barely relevant. A guy gets on the podium at Nats and gets a trophy. We all congratulate him and for some years he’s able to recall it fondly. You want serious respect from your SpecE30 peers? Instead of spending a fortune on hardware, towing and coaching to do well at Nats, just show up at an event with a rented super-model. We’ll all be talking about that long after we’ve forgotten you did well at Nationals, and you’d save many thousands of dollars.

If the details of the national championships are important in a person’s consideration of a race class, they might not be a good fit for SpecE30. If, on the other hand, they are highly charismatic and hilarious, their home is here."

Ranger, of your 5070 post here, I think this may be be your finest.

I received a PM asking what I was talking about.

Here ya go: “Whistler” Compression Testing Manual