Need some paint advice (rust spots, rear spoiler)

I have a bunch of little rust spots appearing all over my car. Not big ones but little nicks that are starting to grow. I’m sure that most of you have encountered your fair share of rust throughout the years and I was wondering if anyone could offer me any tips as to going about fixing it. I was planning on just using a small Dremel wheel and grinding down the area. However, from here I’m not sure how to paint the car so that it doesn’t look like complete crap. The car is currently Alpine and a large majority of the paint is in great shape. I know I’m going to need primer, paint (alpine), and then clearcoat. What do you guys recommend?

Also, for the rubber spoiler on the trunk- I need some special paint but I’m not sure what to get. I need black, red, and yellow (oh man, I wonder what those colors are for).

Thanks for the help!

You can get a spot sand blaster from somewhere like Northern that actually works very well. They blast the sand and suck it up at the same time. We always use epoxy primer for rusted areas that are fixed. The stuff is bullet proof.

When working on your paint job the price of perfection (or anything near) is your sanity…

Are you saying that you are getting a paint job or just want to repair the spots?

I worked each spot with progressively finer sand paper and a cheap sander, I started with 50 grit and ended with 340, then primed and hand sanded with 400. As I continued to find more spots I remembered that this was a race car and could cover some bad area with stickers…

Car is currently in the paint shop, get it back Tuesday.

I’m not going to paint it, merely touch it up. What kind of paint did you use?

Also, I realize that it’s not going to be perfect. I just want to try and keep up with the spots as they appear. Professional painting isn’t worth it as it’s going to be beat around a race track. I’m just looking for info as to what type of paint to get- touchup pens, spray paint, etc.)

If you grind the area, it will always look like you ground the area unless you use filler to smooth it. If you do not want to spray, then you could buy a pt. of your color (single stage) from an automotive paint store to touch it up with a small artist brush, remember, you will always see those spots. If you spray, you have to blend the area and it gets expensive to have it done or difficult unless you are a painter. Maybe you can develop a new paint scheme and have the lower section painted black or something. Fixing a small spot and trying to make it look right is very difficult. Vinyl covers many blemishes.

I really don’t care that much about looks. I more or less want to stop the rust from eating my car. It’s a track car- cosmetics aren’t that important. I just want to stop the rust.