Need Some Information About The Series

Hello everyone,

First, let me give you some background on who I am. I started road racing karts in 2001 on the full sized tracks here in CA and OR. Sonoma Raceway, Thunderhill, Fontana’s Road Course, PIR, etc. After three years I went to circle track racing asphalt modifieds which I still do along with racing clone karts on circle dirt tracks.

I’m looking at possibly getting into the spec E30 class but need to know a little more about its culture. The reason I’m looking to get into this is I really miss road racing and the culture I was used to when I road raced karts. Since moving to circle track racing I have seen massive brawls in the pits, a gun pulled, countless upon countless pit bulls around small children and frankly I’m tired of the typical person. I know this sounds like a bit much, but it’s the truth.

Also, I’m tired of having four months in the off season to legally put my car together and then showing up at the track and having 50% of the cars not put together legally but having the tech guys, “let it slide this one time”. I feel if you can’t put your car together in four months then don’t show up at the track.

So, with all of this said, what is the culture of the E30 Spec class like? When I used to road race karts it was a blast and I want to get back to that kind of racing.

I cant speak from alot of experience with other race cultures, But what i can tell you is that Nor Cal Spec e30 is some of the toughest and friendliest competition around. Off track, everyone are friends, you’ll almost never have someone hiding their cars or what they have done. If you have a question as to why something was done a certain way, all you need to do is ask and you’ll get the answer. We regularly go out to dinner together and buy each other drinks. That being said, once the belts are strapped, and the green flag drops, you wont get better wheel to wheel action anywhere. Our top 15 guys are typically about a tenth off the next guy. And here is the best part, all of the racing is clean. Id feel comfortable going wheel to wheel with almost anyone i race with, and i have gone wheel to wheel with most of them.

For what it is worth, the cars arnt the best cars, and there is really nothing you can do to them to make them heaps faster, but the people and camaraderie is unlike any other series!

Hey Speed,

Thanks for the info. Can you please let me know when the next race at Sonoma Raceway or Thunderhill is going to be? I’d like to come watch and check it out.

Thanks.