Need pictures of tow strap connection

I’ve got an 87 model without the threads in the bumper for the hook. I’ve seen the tow strap that Bimmerworld and Turner sell that is orange and loops around the bumper shock. I get how it connects to the shock, but how does the tow truck hook to the end with the foam/loop thing on it? Does anyone have a good closeup picture of this thing installed.
Before I buy it, I want to see what I’m getting into.

Thanks,
John

Take the foam piece out when you install the strap. Wrecker puts their hook in the loop and pulls you down out of the tree. Or up out of the lake, as the case may be.

Even if it’s a little hard to picture…

1. You don’t need to understand it. Only the wrecker-guy needs to understand it.

2. If it doesn’t work, you’ve got all the rest of us for company because we’ve got the same one.

This just made me realize that mine is on backwards.
Oh well… I will ever need it B)

So the foam is taken out, and the resulting loop is what is placed around the bumper shock? It doesn’t look big enough in the picture.
Someone just please post a picture, I can’t take 1000 words.:laugh:

John

I am not sure why you would take the foam out. You basically cinch it around the shock and I have mine tucked under the ruber part over the bumper just barly sticking out and the foam keeping it from getting sucked back in. You grab the foam and pull and the strap comes out and the wreaker uses it. Some cut a slit in the bumper and slid it out the slit with the foam keeping it out but tucked in.

Good Luck.

Michael
Great Lakes Region

On an 87 it is easier to loop the strap though the tow loop on the passenger side.

On my '87, I tried for about an hour to loop it through the tow hook before giving up and just putting it around the bumper shock. The tow hook looks like a better solution, but I just couldn’t make it wrap the way I wanted it to.

So from the foam back the strap is a big loop? In the picture on Turner motorsports it looks like a solid piece of material with a small loop at one end and a foam piece at the other.

See below:

ilateapex wrote:

[quote]I am not sure why you would take the foam out. You basically cinch it around the shock and I have mine tucked under the ruber part over the bumper just barly sticking out and the foam keeping it from getting sucked back in. You grab the foam and pull and the strap comes out and the wreaker uses it. Some cut a slit in the bumper and slid it out the slit with the foam keeping it out but tucked in.

Good Luck.

Michael
Great Lakes Region[/quote]

I got to looking at this over the weekend. I was wrong about taking the foam piece out of the loop. The foam piece help’s prevent the strap from falling back inside the valence.

The wrecker doesn’t put his hook thru the little loop around the foam. The entire strap is a loop so it’s easy to put the strap on a hook, or run a chain thru the strap.

Got it. I’ll order one today.