Need a driveshaft dampener?

I have a friend working on putting in my new fuel system right now. He says immediately off the trans tailshaft is a rubber dampner that 3 bolts hold to the back of the tailshaft, then three more bolts hold that to the rear end. He says it is destroyed, the ring apart, an the rubber gone.

1. Is this needed, or can we put a solid piece in there?
  2. If needed and required, where can I get another one fast.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Don’t need it:

9.3.12.9. The vibration damper may be removed.

There are 2 parts here, one is a Metal damper, that can be removed, the other is guibo or Flex disk.

I think your talking about the Flex Disk, you need to replace that.

The flex disk you need, You can get them at any of the online BMW places, your dealer may have it.

Here are pics of the metal damper.(some cars have them some dont)

Here is my new drive shaft and flext disk without the damper

Yep he is confused. You can ditch the big metal bowl like damper, but you definitely want a new guibo/flex disc. My question is why doesn’t anyone make a poly one we can use.

King Tut wrote:

I would imagine that there is not much profit in it and if the rest of your mounts are poly, you probably cant feel any difference in a poly Guibo. Also the stock Guibo has some type bias ply belting in it to keep it from dramatically failing and dropping your drive shaft on the road. I have seen people make their own poly bushings before (master carr sells a kit) Sounds like a good project for Ranger:silly:

Poly guibo? Interesting, but not realistic.

They are called Flex Discs in some circles for reason: They need to flex. Think about it, the engine/transmission move around and there is no guarantee of 100% perfect alignment between the tailshaft of the transmission and the forward half of the driveshaft.

If they were made out of a non-flexible material they would crack/break/fail before you got out of pit road.

I wasn’t thinking like a 75d style, but at least an upgraded one that was less prone to cracking/breaking/failing like the rubber ones do so often already.

The flex disk/Guibo will last for years of track duty as long as you don’t buy some crappy URO made in China brand from Bavauto.

Thanks, I took the dampener off, put a new guibo on, car runs great. Between that and the failed rear wheel bearing, things were pretty rough. Now she ride smooth.

Time to race.

-Scott