Necksgen HNR

Interesting HNR alternative. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NG-Rev&Category_Code=NGHNR

Necksgen has been around for a while, but their old HNR was very different than the one above. The old HNR isn’t available anymore, but it’s still 38.1 compliant. I think a legal tussle between Necksgen and HANS put the kibosh on that old device. I guess this is the new device.

I/O port just sent out an email that says everything is 10% off. An additional 5% off with code SAVEMORE for the Necksgen.

I’ve been eyeing this one for a while. I used a DefNder previously, which is pretty much what the old HNR version was. I saw the I/O port email come out and was ready to pull the trigger.

They have two codes, one (SAVEMORE) gets entered when you add the item to your cart, and is good for 5%. The other (SALE2014) is supposed to be entered at checkout time and is good for the 10%. I was able to apply the 5% code, but when I tried to check out, it told me that that it didn’t apply to the item in my cart. That’s contrary to what their e-mail implied. I held off on the purchase and have an e-mail in to them. I’ll try calling as well. Hopefully they can sort it out, as this is a pretty good deal. The sale goes through the 11th.

Ive got to take mine over to be re-certified. they expire after 5 years…

I just got an email from Ken - over the weekend no less - saying that the checkout issue had been fixed. I wound up picking up a new helmet as well while I was at it.

I had a DefNder and loved it, very comfortable and cost effective SFI38.1 HNR. I tried several times to contact them to get it recertified, but never heard back. I suppose they are really only interested in supporting their new product, can’t blame them. But since I never heard back I was concerned about customer support and their existence the next time the HNR needs to be recertified I went with a HANS.

I ordered a helmet that wasn’t in stock, so it took a while for the NecksGen to get here since they were shipping together. But it got here today. Interesting HNR. It’s very light. Also, when I was trying it on after putting the releases on the helmet, I thought I had effed it up somehow. Being used to an HNR with yokes, I was wearing it far too forward. This sits further back and doesn’t have the front yokes, which is something to adjust to coming from just about any other HNR. The hardware seems to be an upgrade from the DefNder. The case is just a fairly cheap zippered bag. Definitely not as nice as the padded ballistic nylon case the DefNder came in.

I don’t have the seat and belts in the car at the moment, but I’ll report back once I try it out strapped in. Hopefully I never have to put it to good use.