Nascar bars / door panels

[quote]8.4.4. Interior trim and door panels may be cut solely to permit passage and attachment of roll
cage front and rear hoop braces and side impact bars.[/quote]

If running a Nascar bar setup, is removal of the door panel legal? I know there is much debate about the Nascar bars vs. X bars but I was wondering what the rulings are on this.

Thanks for your advice,

Justin

If you have Nascar bars I don’t see how you could keep your door panels.

Well, thats the thing - you can’t keep your door panels, but I am trying to see if we will stay within the spirit of the rules if we take the door panel out.

I know guys run them, but I like to triple check before we weld!

There are tons of cars without door panels, I think you’ll be fine.

I think the main thing is… you have to remove your glass if you do not have door panels.

I had panels made from aluminum that match the shape of the nascar style bars. The rules do say you have to have a panel but I have seen plenty of cars that don’t have them.

I thought a former edition of the rules (either CCR or SE30) specifically mentioned NASCAR bars as a legal justification to remove the window glass and door panel.

However, the current rules don’t seem to specify door bar construction, other than a minimum of two tubes.

CCR 15.6.12 says door structure, glass, etc. may be modified to accommodate chosen door bar design.

The SE30 rules say the glass and mechanisms can be removed, and door panel can be modified to accommodate side bars. This suggests a partial door panel is required, to cover the portion of the door not affected by the door bars, but that’s a pretty fine point.

It’s good to ask about these things.

Go ahead and remove the door’s interior trim panel completely. We’ll make a note to make the wording more clear.

Thanks,

Carter